Adult Urban Fantasy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

xaenyth
    Participant

Is there anyone else here writing UF for adults? I feel like the only one sometimes.

There are some great ideas out there but they’re all YA and I have a hard time getting into that. πŸ™

Hermina Vass
    Participant

I do that, too. Although my characters are shapeshifters (not the usual kind, though) and their main form is an animal, when they take up the form of a human they’re adults. πŸ™‚

I’m not a big YA fan myself when it comes to writing. Even though I read almost everything if it’s a good story, regardless of the genre.

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

I have hard time with YA too… and hard time with UF as well! πŸ˜‰
    I prefer invent a world than changing the one I live in, I guess…
    But I feel the only one too – who writes adult character-oriented medieval fantasy that doesn’t follow any fantasy clichΓ© (no LOTR in my stories)! πŸ™
    Hug of sympathy! πŸ™‚

Sharra S
    Participant

I have nothing concrete written in UF. I have a few unfinished shorts and a shiny new idea I’m toying with that are set in the ghetto of fictional-city-of-some-sort and written for adults — so yes.

My WIP is set in the water-world’s capital, but really isn’t “urban” as it more set within the building complexes she’s confined to — so no.

xaenyth
    Participant

It doesn’t have to be urban either, paranormal stuff is all good with me. πŸ™‚

I’m happy to see some other adult writers on the boards too.

Sharra S
    Participant

I feel a little censored with YA. I like having more mature subject matter to be able to write about and not be limited with my ideas or descriptions. Mind you that could mean lots of things, but generally I like it when my character is an adult and deals with adult worries, torments, and challenges.

annsquared
    Participant

Add me to the ‘adults only’ list. πŸ™‚
    Nothing against YA, but I agree with Sharra about it feeling a bit limiting. I don’t mean to short-change the YA ‘genre’, because I know there’s a lot of stuff out there that’s edgy and pushes the boundaries, but that’s just it…the fact that those boundaries exist would make me question each plot point. Not to mention, I often like to throw a little romantic tension (sometimes more, sometimes less) and I just have a hard time accepting relationships in YA. Really, how many people stay with the person they dated in high school? I read every YA that has a romance in it thinking ‘yeah, this will never last once they get to college.’ πŸ™‚

Anonymous

I write UF for adults. I started reading that genre a few years ago and it’s actually what inspired me to start writing again. πŸ™‚

amaanda
    Participant

I write Urban Fantasy I didn’t like the title at first but now it has grown on me…. I feel so cliche’ writing about Vampire’s when it seems like a new book comes out everyday with a vampire but that what the story is in my head πŸ™‚ so I’m sticking to it!!!!

It’s great to find a group!!

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

I back Sharra and annsquared’s idea of YA! πŸ˜€ But still no UF for me, thank you… although, ya never know… πŸ˜‰

elizabeth
    Participant

Me! Me too!

I love me a good Urban fantasy story. I’ve devoured a lot of them, although for a little while I read more high fantasy and adult literature because I felt like a lot of UF series that were basically the SAME thing over and over.

Most of my ideas are urban fantasy because I just love the genre so much. I do like making up my own countries, like Barbara said, but I also like being able to making references that people will understand immediately.

The book I am about to start writing will be UF all the way.

Btw, if you haven’t read some of the earlier books before the term “urban fantasy” was invented I highly recommend them. “Finder” by Emma Bull was amazing, as is anything set in the Bordertown universe. Elf punk at it’s best. πŸ˜€

xaenyth
    Participant

@elizabeth – I’ve never heard of Finder. I’ll have to have a look. Punk is so yummy.

I’m def in the UF for adults camp, though I have YA stuff clunking around that isn’t fit for consumption yet.

Also, I can really only do one book with minimal swearing and sex for every five or so. Viva la dirty mouths!

Anonymous

@miranda: Lol! For real! Your post actually made me laugh out loud. Viva la dirty mouths! ; )

@elizabeth: Just added those to my TBR list. Thanks! πŸ™‚

elizabeth
    Participant

Xaenyth and Kristen: Yes after I finished “Finder” I was all, “What, it’s over? NO MORE?” And then I tracked down the rest of Emma Bull’s books. πŸ˜€

Glad you guys like the sounds of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.