Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Advice needed: Young Adult, New Adult, Adult? Which one fits best?

Advice needed: Young Adult, New Adult, Adult? Which one fits best?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Advice needed: Young Adult, New Adult, Adult? Which one fits best?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lindseymf
    Participant

I’ve been pounding my head on the wall for a long time trying to figure out if my story (the main character is 21) has characters too old for YA and too young for the Adult genre. New Adult would be perfect but from what I’ve read there isn’t quite “real” yet.

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions or advice, please let me know!

heping
    Participant

I don’t think so. Scoot Pilgrim, for example, is directed towards teenagers and the main characters are 23, 24 years old. As long as it is teenager-friendly, and the themes are suitable for YA, I think it’d be fine. 🙂

laurenmckellar
    Participant

I agree. Especially since, at that age, you kind of want to read “up”. Or, I found I certainly did (I don’t know that it’s normal!) but I’d always prefer read stories about people a little older than me versus those younger. I guess it’s the hurry to leave the awkward teen years behind…

jadziab
    Participant

It’s a little bit of both for me. I like reading books that feature a MC around the same age as me, but I also enjoy reading “up” as Lauren says. I never liked reading books about people younger than me. I just could not relate. I do agree though, that as long as it has YA themes and it’s a story that would appeal to the YA audience, then I see no reason why the characters can’t be older.

jane
    Participant

I agree with the others but like ‘heping’ wrote, how your novel is categorized would depend on the topics and situations in the novel and how intense and prevalent they are. I know YA deals with a lot of issues on all levels but are the topics and situations more ‘adult’ or more pre-adult? My novel has a great deal of YA in it but since the topics and situations are more adult (as well as the varying age range of my main character when the story takes place) I have classified it as a WF novel. Good luck!!! (BTW, I haven’t heard of the New Adult genre but I will look into it! Thanks)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.