Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Anyone here from NaNoWriMo?

Anyone here from NaNoWriMo?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Anyone here from NaNoWriMo?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

stella96
    Participant

Has anyone here joined National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) at any point in their writing careers? Both of the books that I’m working on got their start as NaNoWriMo entries; my first one was written during the main event in November 2011, and my second was finished in July as part of the spin-off event Camp NaNoWriMo. I’m currently in the process of rewriting both of them to make them more publication-ready.

Feel free to share your NaNo experiences here, if you have any!

(And for those of you curious about NaNoWriMo, here’s their FAQ: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/faq/2535)

cehart
    Participant

Hi Stella.
    Nice to meet you. πŸ™‚

I participated in the November 2010 NaNoWriMo challenge with a few of my author friends, and we all succeeded at reaching the 50,000 word goal. Yay! I even went to local NaNo meetings once a week. What a month of insanity! It was crazy, but a great experience.

I’m just crazy enough to consider doing it again this year! LOL

If you plan on participating this year, feel free to add me to your buddy list. We can cheer each other on through the process. πŸ™‚
    My NaNo name is Nic Nac

Allison Merritt
    Participant

I did NaNo in ’09 and ’10. I started to do Camp NaNo, but I couldn’t get going on it. Now I’m in the beginning stages of a WIP. I don’t know if I’ll do it this year or not.

I think it’s a great motivation boost though and I don’t regret doing it at all. The first year I did it, I wrote a historical romance and reached 50k, but never finished the book. Last year I wrote the second book in the series I’m working on, but I’m not very happy with the plot. It’s going to require a lot of TLC.

Cathy Franklin
    Participant

I have participated in NaNoWriMo for two years now, but never reached the 50,000 word mark. I did get a fresh story started in Nov. and am currently working on that novel.

xaenyth
    Participant

This year will be my third Nano, plus the two camps, so five altogether. I made July and lost August, but I’m holding out for November!

The novel I’m in revisions with is from the July camp, which I’d been building in my mind since early June and *may* have actually started just before camp. *ahem*

I love my Nanos. πŸ™‚

stella96
    Participant

So glad to see many NaNo refugees here! The newest WiP I have right now is my Camp NaNo from July (didn’t do August b/c of work), and I’m currently torn between doing one in November and revising both of my old ones. More than likely, though, I’ll probably get on the hamster wheel and do November anyway! πŸ™‚

@cehart: I honestly don’t know how I was able to do NaNoWriMo 2010 without the folks from the Philippines regional forum! We were scattered all over the place but always got together online to support each other every night. I missed that when I did Camp NaNo, though – but by then I found the Camp NaNo wordsprint community on Twitter, and it worked out fine for me.

@Allison: I agree with you on the motivational factor for this one. The great thing about NaNo, I think, is that it’s a good way to get started on a draft of an idea, finished or not. FWIW, I’m still not finished with my Camp NaNo either after going past 50k – here’s hoping I get to that ending before I start again in November, if ever.

@cathy: You just described what I might be looking at in November. O_O I do have an idea for my next one, but we’ll see.

@xaenyth: Truth be told, I also “wrote” my July novel in May – started scribbling the story idea in a notebook, then plotted an outline on yWriter before sitting on it all of June. I think I love this one too much to let it go unfinished πŸ™‚ Seriously, though, I love both NaNos and hope they’d get published… and if not, I’ll end up adapting them into screenplays!

Kenra Daniels
    Participant

Last year was my first NaNo. I made my 50k on Nov 18, then didn’t get to write a thing until late January. My entire family had health issues – pregnant daughter in the hospital with horrible bronchitis, grandsons had miserable colds, hubby had pneumonia, I had bronchitis, stepdad had bypass surgery… my mom was the only one who didn’t get sick.

I finally finished last years NaNovel, and it’s currently on submission. Hopefully it’ll find a publisher soon.

I’m planning to participate again this year, providing I can finish my current WIP by then, and finish the outline for the next one by Nov 1st.

indigograce
    Participant

I haven’t done the November NaNo because I’m a teacher and November is hell with grades due and such… but I did try the Camp NaNo for August with my WIP… I had about 30k before I started from July and beefed it up by another 30k, I doubt I’ll hit the 50k mark for the month but I figure as long as I keep plugging away that’s all the matters. Last year I seemed to manage a decent word count per week while back at school, so I’m not that concerned. My goal was to finish the manuscript for the first book in the series, but alas that hasn’t happened. Next goal for that is possibly the end of September?? We shall see.

stella96
    Participant

@Kenra: I’m going through a “writing hiatus” now as we speak – lots of crazy things have been happening in my part of the (literal) boondocks, so I haven’t really done much of anything with my Camp NaNo WiP… which is sad, because I’m already several chapters in at 60k with nowhere to go. And yet I have a strange compulsion to really, truly finish it.

@indigograce: I started my first NaNo on my first year of teaching (!), and I’m still in shock over how I managed to finish the whole thing… apart from the late nights and the whacked-out school schedule I’m working with here in the Philippines πŸ˜‰ For now, no new novels until my current one finds an ending!

shoebrera
    Participant

My first Nano was last year. I reached the 50k with a little time to spare. That book has been added to the files of skeletons drafts to work on.
    That was how I discovered Scrivener. So far, the betas continue on the Windows version, and I keep downloading ’em. I’m anxious to buy the product, once it’s available. And, thanks to winner, I get a discount. Life is good.
    I’m torn about entering this year. I don’t have a fresh idea that sounds good enough, and I really want to spend what time I have getting my WIP ready to present.
    Haven’t entered any of the camps of followups. Perhaps next year. This year my life changed completely and I’m still trying to find my balance.

stella96
    Participant

Bumping this up for those of us joining NaNoWriMo this year (or at least this November, for folks who have done Camp NaNoWriMo in the summer) – share your journeys here!

madison26
    Participant

This will be my first year. I have a really great idea and can’t wait to get going in November. πŸ™‚ Excited!

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

I have never done NaNo WriMo before, but I’m going to use it this year to get a start on a genderswap novella (possibly novel) while my first novel is out on query rounds and subsequent revisions. I’m not shooting to “win” but simply to get a start on this new novel.

marianne

This will be my first year and I am also excited.
    I am not doing this to win, but to start another novel and challenge myself to write everyday for as long as needed.
    I have an idea and I can’t wait to start.
    Happy writing to everyone.
    πŸ™‚

laura
    Keymaster

Good luck everyone! I’m rooting for ya! xo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.