Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Anyone writing YA that isn’t a paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy writer? I’m looking for a critique partner

Anyone writing YA that isn’t a paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy writer? I’m looking for a critique partner

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Anyone writing YA that isn’t a paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy writer? I’m looking for a critique partner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

saraherobinson
    Participant

I’m having a hard time finding a critique partner for my young adult fiction manuscript. It seems as though everyone is writing paranormal/fantasy. I would love to exchange chapters or find someone to read my novel and give me feedback.

Thank you. Sarah Robinson
    saraherobinson.blogspot.com
    https://twitter.com/#!/saraherobinson3

carrieanne
    Participant

I write 20th century historical fiction and some soft sci-fi/futuristic fiction. I agree, it’s frustrating to see so many people are writing either paranormal or fantasy instead of about real people in real situations.

saraherobinson
    Participant

Wow Carrie Ann, I can’t believe no one responded. And this isn’t the first critique site I’ve asked this question. It’s crazy and surprising. Sadly, I just read an article the other day that the fantasy/paranormal craze bubble is about to pop. Unless you have the next Harry Potter, Twilight, or Hunger Games, Agents are not interested. Not sure how true that is, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Historical fiction, huh? I’ve never read a young adult book in that genre. I’d be interested in reading your work. Do you have anything published?

Do you blog? I’ll follow you, and your success. Thanks. Sarah

carrieanne
    Participant

I was querying two of my books about 10-11 years ago and gave up way too quickly. I’ve been querying again this past year, and think I’ll have more success with my YA series since they’re far shorter than my adult books.

My historical fiction is set in the 20th century (starting in 1938 for the YA series) and also contains elements of spoof and social satire.

I have a blog at http://carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com/.

valeriefm80
    Participant

Hi Carrie and Sarah,

I’m writing contemporary (with a touch of magical realism in some spots). I love a classic coming-of-age story, anything historical (although I am not a history guru), or anything gritty/off beat.

I’m querying my first novel and have had a couple MS requests. I’m working on my second now. http://www.Valerie-Cole.com

Are either of you looking for a third critique partner (we can make this a critique group)?

luv2write2k11
    Participant

Hi Sarah’
    If you’re still interested I’m a young adult writer too . My book is contemporary(realistic, humorous and all in all a book to just relax and read.) I’m interested in becoming your partner. what do you think?

deborahbrada
    Participant

Hi Sarah, Carrie Ann, Valerie and Blossom:

I guess you’d describe my writing as coming-of-age/chick lit YA. No vampires, just a lot of personal growth as my protagonists try to make it through life with their self-esteem in tact. I’d be interested in becoming partners…or having a few of us form a writing group so we can get different opinions. Maybe we can limit the page numbers that we exchange each week or how ever often we exchange, so we can juggle 2-3 people. That’s how we did it when I took a YA novel writing course on Mediabistro.

Right now I’m querying for my first book, The Second-Period Supermodel (www.deborahbrada.com) and starting on a new book for NaNoWriMo next week. It should be a lot of fun (fashion, Paris, romance, etc.)

Let me know what you think. 🙂

saraherobinson
    Participant

I’m so glad to meet you guys. I have been trading chapters with valeriefm08 (a poster above) and we’ve had a lot of fun so far. We’ve been challenging and pushing each other with out work for the past two weeks. I would be happy to exchange chapters with either of you. But right now, I’m working on restructuring and editing mine, cutting down word count. I don’t mind helping you but you’d need to be patient with me. Let me know what you think. saraherobinson@comcast.net

saraherobinson
    Participant

Deborah, I read your book summary on your blog. It sounds great. I would love to read it and give my opinions.

valeriefm80
    Participant

Hi Deborah and Blossom

Yes- include me on your email to Sarah! I’ve been querying my MS (and had some interest recently) so Sarah has been helping me tighten it up.

I should be starting a second MS soon.

You can find me on Twitter @valeriefm80 and email is ValerieFM@gmail.com

deborahbrada
    Participant

Valerie and Sarah:
    I just sent you emails. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Deborah

carrieanne
    Participant

I’d be interested in joining the critique group as well, if anyone’s interested in 20th century historical fiction mixed with social satire and at times absurdist humor.

grmarlow
    Participant

Is it too late to join in on this group? I’m not entirely sure where I belong. I love YA books, mostly historical but some contemporary. My first novel is historical fiction/romance for young adults, set in the 19th century. But an agent recently told me she’s “not sure how commercial a historical with a western feel will be for YA.” Discouraging, to say the least, both as a writer and as a reader! I’d be interested in seeing what other people are doing outside the paranormal/fantasy genre.

writingwhatiwant
    Participant

I write Historical/romance/mystery. I don’t do the paranormal thing since I’m a Christian. I’ve been looking for a critique partner who doesn’t write that stuff, too. If anyone’s interested email me katelynmwhitley@yahoo.com I’m not the kind of Christian who preaches, so no worries there!

Ladonna
    Participant

I’m writing a steampunk, but fantasy and parnormal are hot right now. I think it will continue the author of Shater Me wrote a great article about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.