Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Contests and Feedback

Contests and Feedback

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Contests and Feedback

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

I know many of us participate in contests and such to aid in our writing journey, so I thought it might be fun to share our adventures (as well as opportunities).

For myself, my most recent achievement was placing in the top 5 on Teresa Frohock’s agent contest with a flash fiction piece based in the same universe as my novel.

http://networkedblogs.com/l7k58

My prize was a 25 page critique and a synopsis critique from her agent (who is on my query list!) Weronika Janczuk.

Today I submitted for Monica BW’s agent contest where you write your pitch and first 250 for a chance to get a query critique, a 5-page manuscript critique, or the chance to be requested for a partial from agent Vicki Motter (also on my query list!)

http://monibw.blogspot.com/2011/08/agent-judged-contest-with-vickie-motter.html

So, how about you all? Have any cool contest experiences? Or know of some upcoming contests that we might like to enter?

xaenyth
    Participant

Congrats on winning the contest! I don’t have anything to add, but I have my fingers crossed that you catch that agents eye.

Anonymous

Good luck!

Dawn
    Participant

Does the Polk County League Language Arts Fair count? If so, I’ve won several ribbons placing 1st-HM on my writings 🙂 And that was back in my sophomore year (or was it my junior year)…

=D

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

I find contests to be a great learning experience. Often the prompts and themes will inspire me to try out an idea which may expand into an even larger idea. And, win or lose, I always learn something in the process.

Chiaki
    Participant

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome achievment! I’ve never won anything, but I’m entering a contest right now where I can win a trip to NY to shadow an editor and get to meet one of my favourite authors. The deadline is sept. 15, but I haven’t even written anything yet. Well, four sentences. Then I started procrastinating -_-

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

@Chiaki Good luck! I totally understand about the procrastination, but once you hit the stride I’m sure it’ll start flowing for you.

Chiaki
    Participant

@kimberlyfdr thanks so much for your support! 😀

Jani
    Participant

Hey guys. Here’s a first lines contest hosted by the YA Highway. I would have loved to participate but it’s for US/Canada only.

http://www.yahighway.com/2011/08/ya-highway-first-lines-contest.html

If you decide to enter, good luck!

Chiaki
    Participant

@Jani Thanks for the link 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.