Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Daily Writing Goals

Daily Writing Goals

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Daily Writing Goals

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jean Lauzier

Just wondering if y’all have daily word count goals?

I did for a while and got lots of words on the pages. I’m seriously considering bringing back a “required” word count each day to make some progress.

Sherry Foley
    Participant

Now that the kids have all traipsed back to school as of today, tomorrow I plan to get back to my 5,000 word a day requirement.

-Sherry (who can’t wait to flex her fingers across the keyboard) 🙂

xaenyth
    Participant

Sherry, 5000 is an amazing number!

I usually crank out 1200 in the morning before anyone else gets up. It’s the only time of day I know I’m not going to be interrupted. If I can steal time later in the day, I will, but as long as I get my 1200 in, I feel like I accomplished something.

For a while I had a “rule” that I had to write minimum 1,000 words a day no matter what, even though I was working full time and going to school full time at night. If I didn’t make 1,000, it was basically crisis and death canons in my mind. Then I got this crazy job, which I’m still at right now at 9:45pm and I got here at 7:45 this morning, soooo yeah. Not so much with the enforced 1K a day anymore. Silly life messing up my author quest! I so love lighting up my Scrivener wordcount goal bar. I did 800 today, though! 😀

pardon me while I crush on Sherry’s wordcount.

Jean Lauzier

Wow, 5k. I bet there be smoke coming off that keyboard. And I was feeling good about my 500 words a day requirement.

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

I work full-time, do media review for three blogs after work, and serve as editor of a monthly newsletter, so my time is very limited. However, I set forth a 1 hour / 1,000 word daily goal. That allowed me to finish my novel in a reasonable amount of time, giving me that sense of accomplishment, but didn’t overwhelm me.

Editing, however, takes much longer 🙂 Ah, how I long for the days when I was just writing my first draft and not worrying about polishing at that time.

Kenra Daniels
    Participant

My usual output is 5k/day for first drafts, though sometimes it’s more on a good day. I’m lucky enough not to have a day job though, so I can write whenever my family will leave me alone long enough.

mfstrnad
    Participant

When I start a new story, I try to figure out how long I want it. Then set a day for when I want it complete. Usually two months or so. After that I can find out how many words per day I need to write to meet that goal. If I go over it’s great, and I just bank those words and keep trying to get my daily word count. If I don’t make the count, then at least I have those words banked and it shouldn’t affect my goal. I try to aim for about 1200 words per day.

I don’t always manage to do it. I started a sci fi story that I just couldn’t get off the ground. I realized I needed to do more prewriting for it and moved on to something else. At that point just finishing something (anything!) was the most important thing to me.

cehart
    Participant

My goal is to write every day. I don’t set a particular word count though; the volume of work isn’t so important to me. I just enjoy getting lost in the process.

I rarely write less than two hours a day (oftentimes much more than that) and never have writer’s block–ever! lol Seriously! I experience the opposite. I have so many characters and stories bopping around in my head, I’m constantly jotting down ideas and descriptions, or having impulsive conversations with my handy voice recorder. I even keep a pen and tablet on my nightstand so I don’t forget the thoughts that pop into my mind when my head hits the pillow. 😉

gwen
    Participant

I am very distracted right now with “family-crises” so I did not make my August 22 deadline for my YA novel. Also my computer crashed and my terabyte (?) drive (back-up) is fried. (Think about unplugging your computer devices during lightening storms-lol)
    A wonderful person suggested emailing myself a copy-why didn’t I think about that? Anyway, I set a word count of 1k to 2k a day (I’m at home full time now) and sometimes I hit a “sweet spot” and will hit 3k to 5k. My problem is resisting the urge to go back and edit! What is Scrivener? Hey everyone!

gwen
    Participant

Also, what about a group that sets deadlines or word counts? Cheers each other on and kicks each other in the behind? I’m still trying to invite friends-awgghh! I know understanding technology is a must for a writer today–but I wish it was just a word processor *grin*. I know how to write, edit, comment and so forth in Word-duh. I’ll worry about more tech stuff after I restart another story. I’m to down to rewrite the other now. I’m a panster-light plotter-heavy characters–I need the excitement before the rewrites and edits!

indigograce
    Participant

I tend to write approximately 1500-3000 in a day if I’m on a roll. I’m a teacher with the summers off so that helps dramatically! Once I go back I tend to be a little slower, but still try to touch my work every day. There are days that I can’t write a thing of course, but for most part, I’ve been very lucky.

I’m a panster, with very little if hardly any plotting. I find it easier to work in that linear fashion because one thing builds off the next and for some reason, if I plot, I feel like the story is written already and I don’t want to write it anymore. Does that happen to anyone else out there?

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

@gwen I ALWAYS email myself a copy of my novel / chapter as I’m writing. That way, I have it saved on my home computer, email archives, and my work computer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.