Deep POV

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

stolen1
    Participant

How do you all feel about deep POV? I’d love to hear your thoughts……

tkmarnell
    Participant

I’ve never really thought about “deep POV” before, and it wasn’t until I looked it up just now that I knew what it was. Turns out it’s basically the way I do third person naturally :p

I would say that it doesn’t matter what other people think of the POV you choose; the voice just needs to fit the story.

mary2
    Participant

I had to Google it as well. But I guess its something all good characters have in common. They become so strong and “individual” that the reader gets completely engrossed and the veil of fiction disappears. You become one and the same with the character. I’ve experienced that with 2 very different characters; Shylock and Scarlett!!

Anonymous

I like deep POV – I have a number of chapters in my current novel manuscript which are honed purposely in deep POV (some for the MC, some not. It’s also difficult walking on the edge between first and third person, sometimes I slip and write a sentence completely in first person. That’s when it hits me how effective this technique is. Overall, omniscient third person (my general POV for this novel) is a challenge. When I read a novel in first person at night after editing all day – I get POV envy.
    Here’s a great article on it: http://talktoyouniverse.blogspot.ca/2011/11/checklist-for-deep-pov-in-1st-or-3rd.html

r8chi
    Participant

Brielle–thanks for sharing that article! Really really helpful, I think I need to go back and fix for ‘filtering.’

indigograce
    Participant

Brielle that is a great article. I have that one in my resource bookmarks.

I write in a close proximity of Deep POV, third person. (I hate first person). Third person deep POV feels like first without the annoying self-centeredness of I, I, I…. I really like how it gets you inside the head of your characters. You can hear their thoughts and get their first account of the situation/events. But every once in a while, I find that I need to pull the camera back a little bit because it can be too oppressive and feel a little too heavy handed. I usually come out of it for intense action scenes, throw in a bit of thought to give the emotional impact and then go back to the third person limited which has more filters in it until the action is done. After that, we’re right back inside the character’s head.

madiha
    Participant

That’s a brilliant link. Thanks, Brielle.

victoria
    Participant

Thanks brielle!

I’ve never heard of deep POV either until now. It’s good to learn something new everyday. 😀

jadziab
    Participant

I had to look it up. But now that I know for sure what it is, I have to say that I like it. I’ve read a lot of books in which deep POV is used and done well. And I think, done well, it can be a really great way to get into the character’s thoughts and emotions. I, personally, like it.

stolen1
    Participant

Since I started researching deep POV I look at my characters in an entirely different way. Sometimes I close my eyes and try to put myself in their situation or conversation. Things are completely different if your inside and not outside looking in. Thanks for adding to this.

jane
    Participant

I also had to google it. Turns out, I also write deep pov naturally. I hardly, if ever, use a narrator’s voice and I never ever head hop, all thinking, thoughts, visions, feelings, etc happen through the eyes of my main character and the reader always knows what she is thinking and feeling (well, except for what I choose to keep hidden from the reader). I sometimes wondered why my writing felt different and read different when compared to others’ but I could never put my finger on it. Now, I know. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I thought I was writing 3rd pov incorrectly but I feel so much better and confident about it. : ) Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.