Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Different ways of writing

Different ways of writing

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Different ways of writing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Cathy Franklin
    Participant

I’ve noticed recently that the way of writing has seemed to change. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know – but it seems that people write in the here and now more than in the past. To give you an example of what I’m trying to say, here is a sentence written in the past tense: She opened the door and walked through it. And here is the same sentence as I’ve seen it written lately: She opens the door and walks through it. I am by no means an English pro or anywhere near that, but to me the present tense doesn’t sound as good as the past. What are your thoughts on this?

yawattahosby
    Participant

That’s a good point; I’ve never really paid attention to the verb tense when I read. But, when I write, I always stick with past tense. Sounds better.

carrieanne
    Participant

I started writing in the present tense in 1993, though my Atlantic City books are still in the past tense, since it feels right to keep them as they began. It was like a revelation to me when I first read a book in the present tense (Hide and Seek, by Ida Vos). I’d never realized one could write a book in the present tense, and I thought it made the action seem more gripping and compelling. Even if present tense seems like a fad to some, it’s something I chose because I felt it worked best for those books.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.