Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / e-book pricing question

e-book pricing question

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / e-book pricing question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

marianne

Hi,

I am close to self-publishing my first novel. I have read several blogs and web articles on pricing. Some say begin at $2.99 because you only have to sell a few books to make a profit, others say start at 99 cents especially if it is a new author. Then others still say $2.99 regardless since a full length novel is worth the money, however at 99 cents if they don’t like it the reader is less likely to ask for a refund. I am so confused. Anyone face this issue and what, if any, suggestions do you have? I would really appreciate any and all input. It is 88,000 words so it isn’t a short book. Help 🙂

Thanks a head of time.

Blessings,

Marianne

2shy2play
    Participant

Hi Marianne,

You are thinking only e-book, correct? You might want to consider offering it at 99 cents for a limited time – sort of an introductory offer – then take it to $2.99.

As a purchaser of multiple e-books weekly, I am more likely to spend the 99 cents on an unknown author (which you will be with a 1st novel). After I am familiar with the author, if I like their work I would readily part with the $2.99.

One of my favorite websites for indy authors is Smashwords. Many of their initial offerings are free. This is a wonderful way to build readership. Sort of slide your readers into paying $$$.

However, I can certainly understand the financial pressures to make some bucks for all that hard work!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

T Robinson

marianne

Thanks for the advice, It is on Amazon now for 99 cents and going
    slow, but moving which is important 🙂

madiha
    Participant

That’s really great advice T Robinson …

Marianne, All the very best for your eBook and do share the link to your book.

Thanks.

tkmarnell
    Participant

I hate pricing my e-books too low for their value. I’ve put my first one at $4.99 because that’s what I believe it’s worth. If people are interested, I don’t believe they’re significantly less likely to pay $4.99 than they are $2.99.

However, I also have some short stories (c. 8-10,000 words) up for 99 cents. They sell more easily, of course. If you’re worried about people being unwilling to test the waters with unknown authors, you could write some shorts in the same genre as your novel–or even with the same characters–and offer them for cheap. Then if people like them they can step it up to the full-length work.

marianne

Excellent advice tk, I could put up a short story or two. I’ll give it a try.
    Marianne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.