Favorite Monsters?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I seem to be on a demon kick. My book centers around the seat of magical government (Manhattan) and the heads of all magical races are there. When I started writing, I never intended to have demons in my world, but then one showed up and kicked the crap out of my MC. So now I do.

I also have witches, Fae, two races that I’ve kind of made up but are loosely based on angels and vampires, goblins, and a small contingent of shifters.

What kind of monsters do you ladies like to write (or just like)?

elizabeth
    Participant

Oh man. If it exists in mythology, it’s usually real in my books. I might not mention every single mythological creature in existence, but I still have ideas about a lot of them.

I am on a demon kick too, since I just wrote about an exorcist. πŸ˜€

I regularly have the following monsters/races in my books: elves, fey, jinni, vampires (with my own spin), angel, dwarves, nymphs, dragons, mermaids, sirens, selkies, ghosts, spirits, demons, zombies, iara, kelpie, incubi, rusalka, nixies, naga, lamia, vila, apsara, samodiva, and yeah….I could go on.

Essentially I have a list of how these creatures/races are related to each other. It’s how I explain the similar creatures in various folklore. So for example, there’s a lot of water-horse-that-drown-you myths in Scotland and Ireland. So I just say they’re cousins of each other. πŸ˜€

It’s a lot of fun. I know, I am huge nerd. But I really like taking mythology and putting my own spin on things.

Jani
    Participant

@miranda and @elizabeth I’m on the demon kick as well. My demons are classed and their sole purpose is returning to the their original state, which is human. As soon as they up a class they can choose which human feature they want until they have all the parts they need. The results are quite hilarious sometimes.
    @elizabeth, if you’re a nerd, I’m one with you. I love this kind of thing.

Chiaki
    Participant

@elizabeth You have a lot of races of mythological creatures in your book πŸ˜€ … How do you fit them all in?

@miranda I always find it awesome to create new creatures πŸ˜€ But I think the hardest part is coming up with a name for them πŸ˜›

I normally write about creatures which I create myself, but most of them are based on actual mythological creatures (like gnomes and elves, but I give them their own twist XD). I usually try to refrain from witches, though.

Sharra S
    Participant

My ultimate favourite creature is the dragon. XD

Anonymous

I’m a big fan of demons, witches & shapeshifters! πŸ˜€

When I write, I usually base my beasties on actual existing mythologies but adapt them to fit the setting.

xaenyth
    Participant

Shapeshifters, demons, anything with sharp teeth. Yum.

febe moss
    Participant

I am all greek mythology all the time. I love cyclops, hundred handers, minotaurs, etc.

landragraf
    Participant

@sharra definitely love dragons. But I am also a big fan of Greek mythos monsters like @febe moss

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.