Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Free Novel Software

Free Novel Software

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Free Novel Software

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

victoria
    Participant

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5_Download.html

Hello ladies! 😀 I thought I’d share this.

This is the link to the free novel software. It’s pretty basic and it lets you separate your scenes or chapters, which is nice.

I’ve heard that Scrivener is pretty good. Has anyone tried it?

readletter
    Participant

I’m new to Ladies Who Critique and new to the forum.

I downloaded Scrivener and started using it. I’ve only used it for about 2-3 weeks and I love it. The Windows version is only $40 and if you search you can find a 20% off coupon. I truly, truly love it. I have The Writer’s Cafe, Snowflake and was looking at Power Structure when someone mentioned Scrivener to me. This very reasonably priced program does far more than more expensive software.

Scrivener allows you to separate your scenes, keeps track of word count and targets, allows you to link or import resource documents and far more.

victoria
    Participant

Wow, that sounds like a writer’s dream!
    I’m going to have to try it. Thanks for the info! 😀

tkmarnell
    Participant

I’ve had friends rave about Scrivener as well. But frankly, the guy who owns it is kind of a jerk, so I don’t want to give him my money. I saw a blog post by an author who tried Scrivener and found it difficult to use; I remember she complained that she couldn’t figure out how to change certain settings and the “Help” documentation was no help at all.

Well, the creator hopped on to her site and left a defensive comment along the lines of, “Excuse me, but the guy who wrote the help documentation is a good friend of mine and I think he did a fantastic job.” It had the tone of, “If you don’t think our product is perfect, you’re just incompetent and ungrateful and don’t understand how hard we work for you.” I really can’t stand people like that. So whether the software would be useful or no, I’ll do without.

victoria
    Participant

Hey tkmarnell!

Thanks for your input.

I recently tried the trail Scrivener and I found it a little difficult to use as well. Scrivener had a lot of tools but I would never use them because I have my own tools and own methods of getting writing done. Scrivener is fancy looking I guess but it’s a bit much for me. Like I said I don’t really need all those tools that Scrivener has in order to write, so I’m just looking for something more simple like ywriter5. I’m sure Scrivener works fine for others. The only thing is I’m now looking for something else more like ywriter5 only I want it to be able to communicate with Microsoft Word or at least be able to act like it. I always have a hard time pasting my Microsoft Word into ywriter5. The format and the paragraph indent don’t always come out right for some reason and that can get annoying when I have to go through the ywriter5 program myself and indent all the paragraphs by hand, ugh. I’ve updated ywriter5 but it didn‘t seem to help any.

So if anyone knows of another program like ywriter5 then please list em’ here. Thanks 😉

madiha
    Participant

For a moment I thought there was a software that could do the writing for me. *grin
    So this is more for formatting. What’s wrong with Word? Or if you have trouble with formatting why not just outsource it?

victoria
    Participant

I do use Word. The only thing is Word doesn’t keep track that well if you were to do chapter after chapter. Unless you put each chapter into its own folder. I’m sure some people do that. As for this outsource… hum… perhaps I’m missing something.

tkmarnell
    Participant

I understand the difficulties with Word when it comes to full-length novels. For short stories, it’s fine, but I spent hours trying to figure out how to easily import chapters from other files–not just the reference link to the folder location, but the actual text. Never managed it. And when you have a several hundred page document, the slow-down is awful!

I don’t know anything about ywriter5–this is the first I’ve heard of it actually–but if the main problem is copy/pasting between programs, it may be that you’re not really indenting your paragraphs in Word, but it’s applying a first line indent to the “Normal” style automatically (or to specific paragraphs). So the tab character isn’t actually there; it just displays as if it is. If this is the case, try this quick fix in Word 2007/2010:

1) Remove all of your tabs. Click “Replace” on the far right of the “Home” tab, or hit CTRL-H to bring up the same window. In the “Find what” field type “^t” (or select the field, click “More >>” at the bottom left, then open the “Special” drop-down and select “Tab Character”). Leave the “Replace with” field blank and hit Replace All. This will delete any tab characters in your document.

2) Put the tabs back into all of the paragraphs. In the “Find what” field, type “^p” (or select “Paragraph Mark” from the “Special” drop-down). In the “Replace with” field type “^p^t”. Click “Replace All.” This will find all of your paragraphs and insert a tab character at the beginning.

If you want to preserve certain tabs and only want to take out the ones at the beginnings of paragraphs (though I’m not sure where else tabs would be…), in the first step find “^p^t” and replace it with “^p” instead.

Hope this helps!

tkmarnell
    Participant

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by “keeping track” of chapters, but if it’s a navigation problem you can format your chapter titles as heading styles (in the “Styles” window, they’re called Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.–just highlight the text, e.g. “Chapter 1,” and select the style). Then go to the “View” tab and click the checkbox by “Navigation Pane” in the “Show” section. A window will pop up on the left with all of your headings as buttons; you can jump to any chapter by clicking on them.

You can also put in a table of contents based off of these headers that detects the page numbers automatically, which I find pretty useful for long documents, but it’s kind of clunky to manipulate if you’re not used to it.

victoria
    Participant

Good News! I just fixed the indent problem in ywriter5. Turns out there was something I had to set in the settings under scene edit. Plus, I don’t think I was applying the updates correctly because I run the software straight from my flash drive.

Now it’s working like I dreamed. I’m happy with it now. YEA!! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.