Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / How Long is Your Typical Scene

How Long is Your Typical Scene

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / How Long is Your Typical Scene

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

xaenyth
    Participant

Mine run on the low side during the first draft because I have a real bare bones approach. I usually top out between 1200 and 1600 until I go back for the rewrite.

How long are your scenes in the first draft vs what you end up with in later drafts?

annsquared
    Participant

I really have no idea! 🙂

Hold, please.

Okay, I’ve returned, having completed a little investigation on my WIP. Not surprisingly, my scenes are well above 1600. In fact, in the seven I reviewed, the shortest was about 1600. My longest topped out a little over 3000.

Usually my rewrites don’t change the numbers by any huge degree. It’s normally a matter of switching out words or clarifying different bits and pieces. It’s either that, or I end up scrapping the whole scene because I realized it was totally unnecessary.

mfstrnad
    Participant

When I’m in the planning stages, I plan for 1500 word scenes. When I’m done writing them, I end up with a variable amount- anywhere from 1000 words to 5000 words. It just depends on what the scene requires. That’s just the first draft.

When I’m editing (and after it’s complete), I don’t worry about how many words are in each scene.

Jani
    Participant

Just about all my chapter word counts fall between 2 000 and 3 000. When I rewrite I tend to add and when I edit and revise I tend to cut so it basically stays the same.

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

My scenes were written (in the first draft) to be 2000 words per scene. The chapters in my manuscript range from 1-3 scenes.

indigograce
    Participant

My typical scenes range from about 1500-3000, depending on what i want to accomplish. I read once in a blog from Jacqueline Lichtenberg, that every scene should be around 750 words, or by the 750 word mark, something changes within the scene. I went back one day to take a look at mine with this in mind and wouldn’t you know, she’s right. By 750ish a development happens or someone else comes in, or an setting changes within the ‘scene’. Since I’ve been aware of this, I feel like my scenes are tighter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.