Okay, I’ve returned, having completed a little investigation on my WIP. Not surprisingly, my scenes are well above 1600. In fact, in the seven I reviewed, the shortest was about 1600. My longest topped out a little over 3000.
Usually my rewrites don’t change the numbers by any huge degree. It’s normally a matter of switching out words or clarifying different bits and pieces. It’s either that, or I end up scrapping the whole scene because I realized it was totally unnecessary.
When I’m in the planning stages, I plan for 1500 word scenes. When I’m done writing them, I end up with a variable amount- anywhere from 1000 words to 5000 words. It just depends on what the scene requires. That’s just the first draft.
When I’m editing (and after it’s complete), I don’t worry about how many words are in each scene.
My typical scenes range from about 1500-3000, depending on what i want to accomplish. I read once in a blog from Jacqueline Lichtenberg, that every scene should be around 750 words, or by the 750 word mark, something changes within the scene. I went back one day to take a look at mine with this in mind and wouldn’t you know, she’s right. By 750ish a development happens or someone else comes in, or an setting changes within the ‘scene’. Since I’ve been aware of this, I feel like my scenes are tighter.