Home / Forums / List of Forums / Historical / Introduce Yourself!

Introduce Yourself!

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Historical / Introduce Yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

The historical group is one of the newest and we’d love for it to be more active. With 16 members I think there is great potential for us to learn from each other and get some good critiquing going on!

Why not introduce yourself, your current project, and any blogs/ sites you have.

Side note:
    If anyone is interested in becoming a moderator for the historical group, please send me an email and I’ll get back to you asap (and love you forever)

– Laura

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

Hi there,
    I usually write fantasy, but this year I’ve started working on my first historical novel (that should come out under a different pen-name and with British spelling instead of the American spelling I’m using now – please note that English is NOT my mother tongue anyway).
    I’m European and love the Middle Ages – which span almost a millennium of very different ways of life. I’m starting from the 12th century and will move forward in time while I progress with my research.
    I don’t know when I’ll write another, though, or when it will be set, because it took me years of research to work on this one! 😉 So I don’t know if I really fit in this group, but if anyone is up for a discussion on history , here I am.
    Blog: http://creativebarbwire.wordpress.com (and yes, I do rant about my historical research and progress on there from time to time anyway)

Anonymous

Hi! ‘m working on my first YA historical novel–set in Ancient Roman times. I’ve written a few other novels, but I’ve been amazed how much more work goes into a historical novel. I am really loving the adventure, however, and plan to keep writing them along with contemporary novels.

I blog over at: http://thenshewrites.blogspot.com/

i just signed up for Rachel Harrie’s blogging campaign. If you are a blogger, check it out–it is a great way to meet other writers. Currently there are only two of us in the historical group, and I’d love to see more! Find out about the campaign at: http://rachaelharrie.blogspot.com/

-Heidi

cynthia
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m working on historical fiction which takes place during the Crimean War, 1853-1856, in England, Turkey and The Crimea (now the Ukraine, specifically Sebastapol/Sevastapol).

This is my first novel, though I’ve begun a couple others (years ago). I’ve been working as a technical author, freelance writer and marketing programmes manager in the high-tech arena for a couple of decades. I’m ready to be out of the corporate world for a while.

My husband and I just moved to Malaysia (from the UK) for three years for his job and I now have the freedom and time to finish this project, which I began with NaNoWriMo last November. I’d like the first draft really done and in serious editing in time to begin the next one with this year’s NaNoWriMo — if all goes to plan.

I’m looking forward to Ladies Who Critique and just finished a series of on-line writing and poetry classes–and now have more time to do a better job of exchanging critiques.

Sounds like some interesting projects here! /cyn

Anonymous

Cynthia–Welcome! So glad to see another historical writer!

connilynkc
    Participant

Hello ladies! I am working on a Historical Fiction novel set in Egypt during the Exodus from the point of view of a young Egyptian girl who has been enslaved to satisfy her father’s debts. This is my first attempt at a novel, I have written about 40,00 words so far (it’s slow going as a stay at home, homeschooling mama) but I would love some critique. If anyone is interested in taking a look please let me know.

Anonymous

connilynkc-I’d be interested in looking at a few chapters! I love ancient history–I’ve been focusing more on Rome, but that research has brought up a lot of questions about Egypt for me. Let me know! hwindmiller(at)yahoo(dot)com

carrieanne
    Participant

I’ve been writing historical fiction since I’ve been seriously writing as a preteen. I’ve only done 20th century historical fiction for the vast majority of that time, since I fell out of love with 19th century American history (except for the Civil War era) and realized what the pioneer movement really did to the Native Americans.

My current WIP is the sequel to my superlong Russian historical novel, this one set from 1924 to 1930 in Manhattan and Minnesota (and a little bit in the Soviet Union, following some of the characters who didn’t immigrate yet). The first book is somewhat shorter than Anna Karenina, and I’m aiming to have the sequel about the same length. I’m not sure what length the outlined third book will be, but I know it’ll also be very long.

I also have four different YA series set in Atlantic City starting in 1938 and featuring the same characters. Each series has a different focus, though sometimes the events overlap.

I also have a very long work of contemporary historical women’s fiction set in Manhattan and Hudson Falls from 1959 to 1974, my imagined growing-up story and eventual happy ending of a young girl who could’ve been the girl who inspired the famous Four Seasons’ song “Rag Doll.” It’s around the length of The Brothers Karamazov, and at one point when I was querying, I was pretending Parts I and II were book one of a pretended trilogy. Then I realized it only works as one long, continuously flowing and developing story, modern-day prejudices against supersized books be damned.

sherrielynnmcc
    Participant

I am not writing historical at the moment but I love it. Anyone looking for a critique partner I would love to see your work!

Anonymous

Welcome Carrieanne and Sherrie!

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

@carrieanne: we’re in a brand new world of publishing. With ebooks, length is not an issue anymore – actually short stories are back on the charts.
    So if you don’t find a traditional publisher for your opus, consider indie publishing. Don’t let a traditional publisher butcher your story because they think it’s too long and won’t sell…

cristin
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site a couple of days ago. I’m in the middle of a move, but would love to exchange critiques with someone (starting in a few weeks). My WIP is set in the late 3rd century AD in Armenia, Rome, and Persia.

miguelinaperez
    Participant

I am working on a Regency romance mystery. Currently looking for Beta Readers for it. Love to hear from anyone interested in critiquing it.

mkmcclintock
    Participant

Good Day Everyone!

I’m currently working on the second book of a historical western romance series set in 19th century Montana. The book will be released in June 2012. I also have the first book out of my British Agent series, primarily set in 19th century England.

Looking forward to finding a critique partner or two and enjoying what everyone else here has to share!

Best,
    MK
    http://mkmcclintock.blogspot.com
    http://www.mkmcclintock.com

louc
    Participant

Hi – I’m currently in the first edit of my historical novel (written during NaNoWriMo 2011). It’s set in early Victorian times and is based on a true story but has bee fictionalised. I’m looking for discussion on writing in the historical genre (and advice and support!) as well as finding a critique partner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.