Home / Forums / List of Forums / Memoir / Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Memoir / Introduce Yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Introduce Yourself!

Dawn
    Participant

I’m Dawn. I am happily married with one son and two cats. The memoir I’m working on is currently titled “Abstinence from the Eyes of a Slut” so you can basically guess what it consists of. I have a habit of stopping the writing when I realize I’ve left out parts that could very well be essential to the story.

mgena
    Participant

I’m Melissa. I live in the Bay Area, CA with my partner and her soon-to-be 7 year old son. I’m a football fan, love the mild climate of the Bay, and started work on a memoir about a year ago. I have a lot of material, but much of it is raw and needs work. I’m 38, and moved to San Francisco in 1995. My real career is in technology. I work in software project and product management.

liannesimon
    Participant

I’m Lianne. My husband and I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I’m writing a YA fiction novel that may end up looking like a memoir. The protagonist is a teenager who was born with one ovary and one testis.

Cathy Franklin
    Participant

I’m Cathy, I live in rural SE Arizona. I’m an “empty-nester” with two grown daughters, and three grandchildren that live several states away from me. I’ve been writing my memoirs for many years. I’m just a few years from actually catching up to where we are now. I think my story is written mainly for myself, because it’s taken from diaries that I’ve kept for 40 years. I’m not sure I would ever really want it published. What are your thoughts on having memoirs published?

leavesofthefall
    Participant

Hi, I’m Lynnanne. I live in Indiana with my husband, two of three kids, one son-in-law, four dogs, two ferrets, one cockatiel and one flying squirrel. Can anyone say nuts? I’m writing two memoirs: one on race relations in my community which involves my daughter, her choices and how things go full-circle. The other revolves around another part of the family that isn’t completely fleshed out yet. Am anxious to find a critique partner so that I may be held accountable to a writing schedule, not to mention the valuable info that comes from others who read my work.

leanna
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I’m Leanna and am closer than I’ve ever been to completing my first book, SWALLOWED: A True Story of Love, Obsession and the Afterlife. I am loving life in South America, learning Spanish, hanging out with my five dogs, cat and hubby…I am anxious to find a partner, and as an avid reader I can promise accountability on my end as well. Any chance Lynnanne might be interested…? Seems we’re each a tad loco with the animals… “)

leavesofthefall
    Participant

ha. I’m just now seeing this…. “loco with the animals” seems just about right.

barbinva
    Participant

Hi I’m Barbara and I’m writing a memoir about the times I spent living in New York after running away from home at age 12. Starting during the mid 60’s an interesting time in this countries history. Telling my age here…I started out writing memoir and now it seems to have evolved somewhat into essays, part of the memoir anyway. I need someone to keep me on track and writing. I seem to write in cycles and have to be in the right frame of mind…I need to have a more disiplined writing schedule.There are parts of my memoir and essays that are adult rated…just saying. Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks

kymberleigh
    Participant

Hi I’m Kym. I am writing a creative non-fiction book entitled “Six Figures, No College Degree.” I guess it falls under memoir rather than non-fiction, as it is based on my life. My aim is to self-publish via CreateSpace by April 2013.

I also write memoirs dealing with domestic violence, single motherhood, and entrepreneurship.

Lastly, I dabble in poetry and romance/spiritual novel writing as well. Looking forward to making new writing relationships.

aliciaroark
    Participant

Hi! I’m Alicia! I’m writing my first book! It’s considered a Memoir here, but it’s more like an Autobiography.

I am originally from Oakdale, LA! I will be self-publishing my first book in 2013 “The Dixie Street Miracle.”

My passion is Christian writing! I love to write about God’s love, mercy, grace and miracle-working hand! He is what I base my entire life on!

I”m looking for a critique partner! I want somebody who is serious as I’m facing a deadline! I am so looking forward to meeting new folks on here!

Y’all have a nice day!

katemadison
    Participant

I’m Kate from Southern CA. I plan to self-publish my first memoir novella (35,000 words) in April 2013 and need critiques ASAP.

SPILLED PERFUME has been described as “Sex and the City meets Tucker Max.” It chronicles one woman’s year-long attempt to find love with anyone who would by her a drink and her firsthand discovery that anti-depressants and alcohol don’t mix. Both hilarious and heartbreaking, SPILLED PERFUME is for anyone who has ever hit rock bottom (as well as for those who only wish their lives were that exciting).

lorinfife
    Participant

Hi! I’m Lorin, 62, married 40+ years to my beautiful wife, looking for a critique partner… I’ve had an interesting life… philanthropist, nonprofit community leader, successful Wall Street M&A and securities lawyer, senior executive in a Fortune 500 company, naval officer, football player and artist… I’m writing a memoir that started out as creative nonfiction describing a year in my life as a teenager. Here is a rough draft of a query letter describing the project….

Football experts (e.g. Sports Illustrated, ESPN, CBS Sports) today universally characterize JACK NEUMEIER as a genius, crediting him with inventing the brand of football that electrifies hundreds of millions of football fans and that dominates football at every level of play from peewee leagues to NFL Super Bowls. But that was not always the case. “Cactus Jack’s Aerial Attack: The Birth of Football’s Modern Spread Offense,” a creative nonfiction sports memoir, combines elements of “Friday Night Lights” with “Rudy” with “Remember the Titans” with “American Graffiti” to tell the triumphant true story of how Coach Neumeier forever changed the game of football.

Written from the perspective of a dorky, underweight 16-year old bookworm with unfulfilled dreams of gridiron glory, the story follows Cactus Jack, a middle-aged high school football coach with a well-deserved reputation for mediocrity, as he confronts a harsh reality. With revolution and rock music in the air, the Vietnam War, race riots and assassinations on the evening news and his job in jeopardy, Neumeier has lost virtually his entire 1969 team. With only one year to turn his remote, suburban high school football program around, he looks across the Generation Gap at an inexperienced, undersized crop of candidates for his 1970 team who hardly seem capable of playing in a varsity football game much less making it through a winning season.

In response, Cactus Jack, an unlikely revolutionary, formulates a new type of offense – now known simply as “the spread” – which relies more on teamwork, quickness, courage, skill and intelligence than size and speed. As his innovative concepts begin to take shape, Neumeier approaches the scrawny narrator to play center, plunging the narrator literally into the heart of his coach’s creative process. With the season approaching, the center becomes the keystone alongside stumpy guards and undersized tackles on what evolves into a remarkably successful offensive line. Together, this “band of brothers” will pave the way for Neumeier’s offense, changing “three yards and a cloud of dust” football into an exciting, unpredictable, wide-open passing game. Over the course of a magical season filled with drama, conflict and intrigue, the narrator and his teammates unexpectedly grow into and flourish in their roles.

The team’s foils over the course of the tension-filled season and their opponents both in the final game of the regular season and then again in the championship game are a team led by a future football legend (ANTHONY DAVIS of USC-Notre Dame, Heisman Trophy fame). Neumeier’s quarterback (DANA POTTER) becomes a prep All-American, Coach Neumeier is named Coach of the Year for the entire state of California, and Cactus Jack’s offense becomes famous among coaches across the nation, attracting future Professional Football Hall of Famer JOHN ELWAY to the school a few years later.

I was that scrawny center. My buddies and I were the runts and benchwarmers Coach Neumeier transformed into a team. Over the course of a year together, we helped him create what became football’s dominant offense – a year when underdogs became champions, when teenaged boys became men, when a middle-aged high school football coach reinvented himself and the game of football along the way. I hope that your agency will be interested in my story.

I would love to discuss your interest in representing me in connection with the publication of “Cactus Jack’s Aerial Attack,” as well as related matters. Thanks very much for your time.

mayaswords
    Participant

My name is Maya. I’m the author of a small press published memoir-“From Agoraphobia to Zen.” I am finishing my second memoir, working title- Adventures of a madwoman on the loose,” and wanting to connect with another writer who understands the art of memoir. I was an ESL and now am teaching (what else) memoir writing. I am looking for a partner who believes in writing memoir with the same intensity as fiction. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction and when told right, is memorable. I live in Hawaii and my them includes, panic attacks , rape, eating disorders, adventure travel to Spain and the Philippines, mother issues, and most of all, enjoying life in spite or because of it all. Aloha

rmewyka
    Participant

Hello there. I am a newbie and am working on my first book, a memoir, about my surrogacy journey. I am looking for a critique partner to help me through the process, since I have no writing background and no writing experience other than a personal blog. I am getting a little advice from a mentor who is a published novelist. It was her suggestion that I look for a writers critique group. I am also planning to pitch to a few agents soon, so I will need help with critiquing an introduction letter for that as well. Thanks so much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.