Home / Forums / List of Forums / Crime & Mystery / Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Crime & Mystery / Introduce Yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Introduce Yourself!

Jean Lauzier

I’m Jean. I posted a short intro when I joined group but decided to post one here so we can keep ’em all together.

I write mostly mystery and fantasy though I play in romance and a couple other genres, depending on mood and what the plot bunnies deliver.

I’ve had some short stories published here and there and do some non-fiction on occasion.

And I really dislike writing intros and bios. I never know what to say.

anniemr
    Participant

Hi, I’m Annie. I write mysteries, I blog, I write short stories and work as a freelance writer – mostly web copy. Like Jean, I dislike intros because it kind of feels like standing naked in a room of strangers – but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, yes?
    Annie

Jean Lauzier

Hi Annie…

And yeah, it is sorta like standing naked in front of room full of strangers. Or like having to intro yourself as a kid the first day at a new school. Ewwwww…

How about posting a link to your blog for us to check out?

Anonymous

Hey! I’m Nicole — I write a little bit of everything (primarily lit fiction and thrillers/suspense). Freelance writer and nonprofit fundraising consultant by trade. I’m in the midst of querying a psychological thriller, which is going okay…just enough agent interest to keep me from wanting to throw myself off a bridge. ;-p

I’m about 1/3 of the way through writing another novel, more of a light suspense type of thing. Would love to pick up another crit partner.

Jean Lauzier

Hi Nicole…

Totally understand about the “bridge” thing. Hang in there, you’ll get it sooner or later. 🙂

Anonymous

I tell you, it makes me wish I would have spent my younger years sucking up to people in the publishing industry so I could force them to introduce me to their agent friends! Heh!

roshellee
    Participant

Hi I’m Rochelle. I’ve published one short story and I have written one novel. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Hi, I’m Karen. I’m more of a chicklit gal dabbling in chicklit suspense/mystery. I like a protagonist with a bit of an emotional-slash-narcissistic side.

I have published one true chicklit novel, Chasing Avenues. It was a fun, albeit, stressful process. I wish I had the luxury of this site during the process. The more eyes on your work the better…the number of mistakes in a manuscript is shocking. I mean, as authors we read these words a thousand times and yet miss errors.

Looking forward to being apart of this genre and getting know you all.

Jean Lauzier

Ain’t publishing fun! 🙂 I sometimes think we have to be totally nuts to do this. But then I send something else out and torture myself with waiting for acceptance letters.

Wondering? Anyone interested in posting queries for all to review in the forum? I saw this being done in the Young Adult forum. Or…who should I talk to about getting this started?

Jean Lauzier

All we need to do is start a new topic. I’ll take care of that in just a moment. 🙂

shoebrera
    Participant

Hi, all,
    My nickname is Dee. Too many people mispronounce my name when they see it in print. I’ll turn 62 in December, so I have a bit of life experience under my belt.
    I was a successful court reporting firm owner until an injury permanently sidelined me. I can’t even lift my machine now, much less use it. Color me heartbroken. I left the field completely, not enough residual income to make it worth my while.
    One day my first story presented itself in an answer to (an angry) prayer. My genre, I discovered, is cozy mysteries. Even my protagonist is a little old lady, just like in Agatha Cristie and Murder She Wrote. What can I say?
    She’s healthier than I but the first story introduces her as recovering from the same injuries and surgeries I’ve dealt with, right down to the exact same broken vertebrae in our spines. Write what you know and all that.
    Let’s see…
    I’m a grandma x4 and a great grandma x3 and counting. Love my family intensely.
    Married, still living with a man who’s survived 7 heart attacks. He won’t slow down, loves going with his hair on fire. I hope writing will be my refuge and not something I avoid when the Dark Angel finally visits him.
    I’m new at this craft but very willing to learn. Sometimes, between age and medication, it takes a while for things to sink in and be reflected in my work but I keep at it. Persistence pays, I understand. That means those who choose to help me might want to practice a bit of patience and be willing to repeat themselves a time or ten.
    I know the digital age has arrived, but I’m still hoping that, when the ms is ready, I’ll get picked up by an agent who I can work well with and get that puppy sold. I know the odds are against it with the first book you write. I’m still hoping; after all, I’m told I’m an optimist.
    I’ve learned about critiquing by getting my own and trying to crit others. I’ve a lot more to learn but what I do know I know completely. I think. I hope. Oh, you get the idea.
    Court reporters must take advanced courses in legal terminology, medical terminology, grammar, punctuation, and more. That’s reflected in a lot of punctuation suggestions in my crits. I’m working on backing off a bit. Oftentimes I’m asked to keep making those recommendations. It’s amazing that WRITERS sometimes falter on simple things. Good to know we’re all made of the same clay.
    I can’t think of anything else to say about me. Don’t have a clue what will go in my bio eventually. I can learn about that here when it’s close to the time I need it. Please, if you have any questions about me, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m a pretty open book, pardon the pun.

shoebrera
    Participant

OH! Will someone explain what Twitter is and why I should care?
    Thanks.

Jean Lauzier

As to Twitter….

It’s one of those social networking things. :–) Seriously though…I’m on Twitter and while I don’t “tweet” a lot, I do follow agents, editors and other writers (along with a few other non-writerly types).

The reason I’m really there is getting to know others. For example, I was following an agent and after about a week of reading her tweets, I knew she and I would never work well together. Too many personal differences. Then, there are other agents I’d love to work with and following them gives me an insight into what they are looking for, how they want to see it and what drives them crazy.

Agent Donald Maass posts writing tips each week we can use to make our writing better…

Editors often post about things they see that writers should or shouldn’t do…or grammar tips.

Authors often promote their books, blogs and such. I’ve gotten several free e-books that way. Plus, they share some really great links.

I following several publishers too. I’m learning what they want to see, how they work with their authors and such.

Now, Twitter can be a time suck. And honestly, I don’t keep up with everyone I follow. I scan the tweets, pick and choose who to read and who to ignore. I really do like Twitter for the most part.

Ever so often, you’ll get someone who has to let the world know when they need the bathroom or what they had for lunch or uses lots of “f” bombs. Those folks you can just unfollow and not have to deal with.

I know this is long but hope it helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.