Introduce Yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Introduce Yourself!

gwen
    Participant

I’ve joined a couple of groups, but I am drawn to this one. My favorite chapter books from my childhood are: My side of the Mountain; The Little People; Pipi Longstocking; and Regency romance (all that was in the Library). I also liked the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series. A Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Louis Lamour and Michner. I read almost everything in the Library. Now I have 4 grown daughters; six grandsons ( age 7 to 12) and I know there is a need for chapter books for this age group. I’ve studied and listened and watched and it seems that this age group is only interested in magic, wizards, and the lot. I’d like to create a human story strong enough to catch their attention. *LOL*

kimde04
    Participant

Hello 🙂 I am looking forward to learning from the ladies in this group. I am a former Journalism major turned elementary school teacher and am using those two worlds as a basis to write for children. I have been webwriting for adults for the past year and am getting ready to begin an advanced writing course through the Institute of Children’s Literature. Growing up I loved any historical fiction, especially Little House books and my fav Little Women plus I was very much into biographies of famous women. I also loved any mystery from Nancy Drew to Trixie Beldon to Encyclopedia Brown. I have been married for 2 years and have two dogs.

Hi Group! I’m thrilled to be a part of a group like this. I have three completed manuscripts for a ‘series’ I’ve been working on and have no idea what to do with them! The series is called Bed Bugs and they are written for the Pre-K, K reader.

Anyone interested in critiquing? Or reading to your class…wink wink, kimde04.

I’m a stay-at-home of two young, young sons. I’m using this time to make the most out of every minute of the time flying by and hone in on what I hope to one day call my craft.

camikazi
    Participant

Great site concept isn’t it!!! Glad I found you all.

I’m an illustrator and writer with a million projects but just a few finished pieces. I’m hoping to find a critique partner to keep me on track and prevent the terrible write, edit, write, edit, write, edit spiral of doom I experience from time to time.

Hence my favorite Hemingway quote: “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

For those of you looking for a critique partner, I would be delighted to critique, support and commiserate, as needed. 🙂

Right now, I’m writing PBs and short fiction for early readers. There is also a YA novel on my back-burner. I love fantasy, fairy tales and historical fiction. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson is one of my favorite children’s books. Love most everything by Roald Dahl and am interested in creating books for kids in mobi or epub formats and distributing them.

Anonymous

Greetings!

I can´t say how much I like MG books. They´re the best. Especially the great adventure books. I like to read Gregor the Overlander, Percy Jackson, Inkheart, etc.

But I also read everythingelse except Horse stories. Or any other stories about little cute pups.

But if in your stories maybe big, speaking rats or swords or a great prophecy appear, I´m yours!

loriann
    Participant

Hello everyone. I have been writing and illustrating picture books for three years and have recently submitted one to agents without getting any nibbles yet. I am in a bi monthly critique group but would like to work with someone who also writes picture books. I like to read stories about real people in real time. I like stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things. I am unpublished and often wonder why I voluntarily put myself out there to be rejected!

kidlitgail
    Participant

Hello all!

I’m exciting to find another avenue (this site) to share and improve my writing. I just spent 30 minutes working on my profile here, so feel free to go and check me out. I am an eclectic writer; I mostly love writing PBs and early chapter books, but I wrote a MG manuscript and was thrilled with that until I discovered that a guide dog would NEVER be given to a 12 year old, so now I will have to rewrite the whole thing as a YA. Yikes, I don’t know if I know enough words to write YA! Some of my MCs are visually impaired because I am and you know the old adage…write what you know! I look forward to working with any of you. I’m a fairly strong editor (I helped a self-published author with a 6 bk series edit the 2nd through 6th book), and am willing to discuss story flow, plot points, or line-edit. I am supportive and encouraging but I am a totally honest critiquer and will say what I think is not working. I appreciate that kind of critique in return. All the best to you in writing and never give up! Gail

pamela
    Participant

Hi!
    I enjoyed reading the introductions. Wow, where to start?

I’ve been running a daycare in my home for 17 years. I have two grown children and I’m ready to take my writing seriously! Ha!

I’ve taken the course at the Institude of Children’s Literature and considering taking the advanced one next spring. I got good comments from my instructor so I feel encouraged to continue writing.

I just finished reading “Pride And Prejudice” by Jane Austen. A good read but took a few chapters to adjust to the language from that time era. I also read “The Witch of Blackbird Pond”, by Elizabeth George Speare during summer vacation. I will read any book that has won the Newbery Medal. They are guarantee hits!

Back to my writings…I like to write for the preK age. I get lots of inspiration from my kids from daycare. Currently working on a series for children in situations in daycare (Duh, obviously. Write what you know about, eh?) Besides that, my other stories aim towards picture books.

Looking forward to sharing my stories with other children authors and reading some, too. Looking for someone who will also gently nudge me now and then to remind me to write and make it a priority.

P.S. What’s a PB?

kidlitgail
    Participant

Hi Pamela:
    PB just stands for picture book. Sorry for the shorthand 🙂 Since most people refer to MG and YA, I figured PB would work too!
    Gail

pamela
    Participant

Thanks! Should’ve guessed that. Makes alot of sense to shorten words.

judith
    Participant

Hello ladies!

I’m really excited about joining an online critique site. I’m impressed with the writer’s profiles I’ve seen so far and I’m confident I’ll find a good critique partner to get my project off and running (again…)

I have a BA in English, BM in Elementary Music Education, and a Master’s in Library Science with an emphasis on youth services. I’ve got a 20 month old and I’m pregnant with my second son (due in March).

During undergrad, I took a creative writing class which introduced me to critiquing and I loved every minute of it. I also took creative writing in poetry in graduate school and did a great deal of critiquing there as well. I’ve also critiqued longer works for a friend of mine, who is on her third novel of a paranormal romance series.

My critiquing training was pretty simple: point out the really awesome things and always give specific feedback on how the writing could be improved. I point out nick picky things like grammar and awkward sentences, but more importantly, I consider the over all structure of the story, development of characters, and setting. I will be thorough but enthusiastic in critiques. I never say, “I don’t know. It just doesn’t work.”

I started writing my middle grade’s fantasy novel about dragons (more on my profile) in 2008, finished it once in 2009, realized it had huge plot holes, tried to finish again in 2010, and here it is in 2011 and I haven’t touched it in a year. The thought of delving in again is very discouraging because I’ve read it so many times all ready. It’s just a blur when I pick it up. I still think the story and characters have a lot of potential and I am determined to finish it. I’m just in desperate need of help!

My absolute first love was Patricia Wrede’s Dealing with Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Series). She writes fantasy that pokes fun at traditional fairy tales. I enjoy also Rick Riordan, Jane Austen, Robin McKinnley, Terry Brooks, some chick lit, and (being a wife and mommy) helpful non-fiction on marriage, raising rowdy small people, and birth. I really just love reading.

I’m currently a published writer at http://www.wisegeek.com . I’ve done about 250 articles on various non-fiction topics like fashion, education, food, and arts and crafts. Just go to wisegeek and search for Judith Smith Sullivan to find some of my work.

Once a month, I write a humorous advice column for a small publication called U.P. Magazine. You can find them here: http://www.upmag.net , but in order to see my column you have to do a lot of digging. Find the subscription button, click the latest mag to view a sample, and flip around (don’t zoom in until you find my column!) to find Ida Clare. That’s me.

I can’t wait to start reading and critiquing. I really enjoy the process, I love helping other authors, and I really need someone to help me in the same way.

judith
    Participant

Wow, that was really long!

pamela
    Participant

All the better to know you! Hi!

gaildear
    Participant

Hi,

It was so great to find this group. I have not been able to locate one which meets close to me. I think I would prefer the on-line any way as there are no time constraints.

I have dabbled a little bit in writing over the years but am able to put more time into it now after retiring. I love to read–have all my life. Right now I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels and checking out True Blood from the library. I also am beginning to read Game of Thrones series.

I started what I thought would be a picture book last year but was advised to make it into a chapter book. After many revisions I would love to have some advice and feedback. I am working on a couple of picture books as well. We held a reading event at the school where I worked last. If the kids met their goal then I would dress up as Hannah Montana for the day. They selected this as the prize…they met the goal!!

I have enjoyed helping kids love reading and now want to continue in the writing format!

Since I have lots of time on my hands–although for a retired person, my calendar is full–I would love to trade advice with anyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.