Invisible clothes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jenny
    Participant

I’d like opinions on an issue I’m having. My main character can effectively turn invisible–she makes herself unnoticeable, chameleon-like. The question is, do I deal with the problem of clothes that aren’t invisible, or hand-wave? It’s set in approximately contemporary Chicago (in the summer, though that’s not essential). It’s supposed to be a fantasy, but getting more science fiction-y the more I think about it. Her ability is meant to be based in her control over her own body, not other people’s perceptions, though I don’t think that’s essential either. There’s a tradition of going both ways from what the Internet can tell me–the original Invisible Man always wrapped himself up to be seen and Violet in the Incredibles had to have a special suit, but Invisible Woman and other superheroes seem to turn their clothes invisible with them.

Then the Internet ALSO tells me that scientists are in fact working on materials that could theoretically be used to make invisible clothes, though I doubt my character could get her hands on them (unless I advance the technology a bit and/or give her influential friends).

And the story itself is not really about her ability; it’s about acclimating with the local “superhero” group and catching a murderer.

So, what do people think? Invisible clothes or no invisible clothes?

pamela
    Participant

I vote for no invisible clothes.

sinsoftheflesh
    Participant

If you don’t give her invisible clothes then you have a problem for her to salve adding to your story, it doesn’t have to be big but add depth. My vote no invisible clothes!

Tiffany Metzger
    Participant

Invisible Woman does have a special suit. It’s the suit she was wearing when she was caught in the “red cloud” of radiation that caused her mutation — it affected her clothes too. So if she isn’t wearing it, and she is just wearing regular clothes, she has to take off her clothes to become completely invisible.

I say no for invisible clothes, though if you’re having her become a “superhero” then I’d say eventually she’ll have to have her own suit, right?

zora
    Participant

One of my charaters is a shapeshifter who can shift into invisible mode. In the story she explains she can’t wear clothes or jewerly or a personal communication device because people would see them. The solution to her problem was a com device implanted under the skin.
    As far as clothes being available to her. have her hide several backpacks with a jeans and T-shirts around the area for emergencies.

zora
    Participant

Oh by the way I’m new. So hi everyone.

jenny
    Participant

@zora Welcome! But if her skin is invisible what prevents the com implant from being visible?

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts! It looks like no invisible clothes, then. I admit I realize now I was hoping I could take the lazier way out…but this will, as Maria mentioned, add problems, so is going to be better. 🙂 Thanks!

sinsoftheflesh
    Participant

Can’t wait to hear more!
    Hi Zora, welcome to the site/group!
    I like the com under the skin, I think its a grate idea.
    I was thinking about the invisible clothes and what about finding some kind of special material that changes with her?
    Always fun talking with my fellow writers! Happy new year to all!

emilys
    Participant

another option is for her to have control of her aura or the air just around her, but I think having to deal with non-invisible clothes would be an interesting element.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.