Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Is your MC a Mary Sue/Gary Stu? Take the test…

Is your MC a Mary Sue/Gary Stu? Take the test…

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Is your MC a Mary Sue/Gary Stu? Take the test…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

annsquared
    Participant

http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html (there are other versions. Google will lead the way.)

I’m happy to say I scored a ‘1’ for my current MC.
    Your Mary Sue Score: 1

0-10 points: The Anti-Sue. Your character is the very antithesis of a Mary-Sue. Why are you even taking this test?

Probably because she willingly has someone killed. (He totally deserved it though.)

So what’s your score? What fatal flaws does your MC possess that keeps them from being a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?

Hermina Vass
    Participant

I scored 32. The result said I’m on the border. Not sure if I should be proud of my MC or not. 😀

stella96
    Participant

I’m disappointed. My FMC scored 21 (Not-Sue) but my MMC was a 45… okay, so he’s based on a number of hot guys I’ve crushed on (and maybe an ex-boyfriend or two) but it does give me a lot of hope about all of the revisions I’m about to make on his character.

peckmom3
    Participant

LOL! I’ve never heard a character referred to as Mary-Sue/ Gary Stu. Where does that originate?

I took it for the male character in the book I just finished and scored 18…yay!

stella96
    Participant

Mary Sue, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

indigograce
    Participant

Holy crap! My hero just scored a 50! WTF????
    He is not a brooding anti-hero angel/vampire/ fill-in-the-blank fantasy hero (no offense intended to those who write that genre – but the whole quiz was about that or some form of anime/manga). Nor is he the typical rich power businessman or cowboy ala Harlequin. He’s old for crying out loud, much older than typical romance heroes are nowadays… but things that are relevant to his profession – Air Force Spec-Ops Colonel… are pushing him into that realm. And of course he’s good looking… who wants to fall in love the pudgy balding guy who does their taxes…. unless he can get you a REALLY good tax break?? That’s real life and we read to escape it.
    My female MC, I totally get… she’s a member of an elite special ops unit… women don’t do this job that we know of (and of course she’s beautiful – again with the ‘not real life’) so inherently she’s a Mary-Sue because she’s got to have mad skills. What makes her interesting is that she totally fails at her personal relationships plus she has PTSD.

I took the point of the majority of the quiz to red flag those writers out there who write to insert some awesome version of themselves into a story where they have control over the universe. While I think its true that every character we develop has some piece of ourselves in them (it’s basic psychology), we should NEVER create a character that is a mere reflection of what we wish to be. Though that might make an interesting story : down on his/her luck comic book writer creates a Mary-Sue version of himself in his story but then somehow he’s magically transported into the universe and has to use the powers he created to survive but fails miserable because it’s all a facade.

Am I stereotyping here… maybe i’m just bitter about the 50…

Hermina Vass
    Participant

@indigograce Don’t take this quiz to heart. It obviously has its deficiencies. For instance my female MC has a katana. Well, duh, the story is set in Japan and the MCs are creatures from Japanese mythology. Having a katana should be legit in this context. And that’s the keyword: context. If the MC fits the settings and doesn’t have undue traits or weapons or clothes or anything else you’re good to go. I think.

This test here can give you orientation, but not the ultimate answer, I’d say. 🙂

indigograce
    Participant

@Hermina Vass Thanks 🙂 I think what irked me was that I ‘know’ my dude is an interesting character because I made him not cliche on purpose. I didn’t want the prototypical tough ass soldier. He has that side to him, but he also has other parts that are very different.

I equate the test to those “How Exciting Is Your Lover?” quizzes in Cosmo. Good for laugh and a few tips you hadn’t thought about.

annsquared
    Participant

@indigograce – I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. I’m pretty sure the quiz even says somewhere on there that there are plenty of characters who wouldn’t be considered Mary Sues/Gary Stu’s but score really high anyway.
    I think it’s just a good double-check to make sure our characters believable. Real people with real flaws (being endearingly clumsy *ahem…Bella Swan* with no other negative traits does NOT count!) 🙂
    Sometimes, without even realizing it, it’s easy to create MC’s that are such speshial snowflakes that all the other characters just sit around bowing to their awesomeness because they have no hope of competing with them, so things like this can sometimes be helpful in showing the error of our ways. Or, they can just be good for a few laughs. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.