J.A. Konrath

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hermina Vass

I don’t know how much of you follow his blog, but his latest post was most interesting.

He usually talks about the traditional publishing industry’s slow but inevitable death and the extinction of bookstores. But now it’s a little different. He gets nostalgic and says it outright: it’s over.

Well, the wave of electronic reading devices certainly didn’t reach Eastern-Europe. But folks here are used to being a few decades behind ‘right now’.

But can Konrath be right? Are the changes as radical as he sees them? Is this really the beginning of a new era (in a literary sense)?

Personally, I’m not giving up my paperback books anytime soon. Give me the smell of a real book any day. Chalk that smell up there as one of my all-time highs.

That said, I love kindle books. I love the immediacy of them. I love that I don’t have to get out of my PJs to go to the store and pick out a book and I find my spoiled self cursing when a book I really want isn’t available on kindle.

I may be in the minority here, but I’m also not a fan of the book signing so I’m not too sad to see it go.

I think we may be heading more towards a digital revolution, but I’ll be holding onto my paperbacks until someone tears them out of my hands.

Either way, I think there will continue to be a place for writers who have amazing stories to tell and people who will happily gobble those stories up. I’m happy to embrace whatever comes.

Oooo I read that post. I’ve never been interested in signings, and I donated nearly all of my printed books this past february. I meticulously went through each one and put them in a spreadsheet, and then sorted them based on which I already had in ebook, prioritized what I wanted in ebook, and marked which I needed to keep because there was no electronic version available.

Basically I’m a nut.

But for me, I’m ebook all the way. This may have something to do with being a New Yorker, where I had approximately one foot of space for 300+ books…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.