J.A. Konrath

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hermina Vass
    Participant

I don’t know how much of you follow his blog, but his latest post was most interesting.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/09/over.html

He usually talks about the traditional publishing industry’s slow but inevitable death and the extinction of bookstores. But now it’s a little different. He gets nostalgic and says it outright: it’s over.

Well, the wave of electronic reading devices certainly didn’t reach Eastern-Europe. But folks here are used to being a few decades behind ‘right now’.

But can Konrath be right? Are the changes as radical as he sees them? Is this really the beginning of a new era (in a literary sense)?

xaenyth
    Participant

Personally, I’m not giving up my paperback books anytime soon. Give me the smell of a real book any day. Chalk that smell up there as one of my all-time highs.

That said, I love kindle books. I love the immediacy of them. I love that I don’t have to get out of my PJs to go to the store and pick out a book and I find my spoiled self cursing when a book I really want isn’t available on kindle.

I may be in the minority here, but I’m also not a fan of the book signing so I’m not too sad to see it go.

I think we may be heading more towards a digital revolution, but I’ll be holding onto my paperbacks until someone tears them out of my hands.

Either way, I think there will continue to be a place for writers who have amazing stories to tell and people who will happily gobble those stories up. I’m happy to embrace whatever comes.

Oooo I read that post. I’ve never been interested in signings, and I donated nearly all of my printed books this past february. I meticulously went through each one and put them in a spreadsheet, and then sorted them based on which I already had in ebook, prioritized what I wanted in ebook, and marked which I needed to keep because there was no electronic version available.

Basically I’m a nut.

But for me, I’m ebook all the way. This may have something to do with being a New Yorker, where I had approximately one foot of space for 300+ books…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.