Home / Forums / List of Forums / Short Stories / Length of a Short Story

Length of a Short Story

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Short Stories / Length of a Short Story

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

madiha
    Participant

I am a little confused and was wondering if someone could help me. What’s the usual wordcount or length of a short story? Some say a 1000 words, other say 4000 – then there is the debate on the applicability of Poe’s definition to modern times when the length of a single sitting may be much shorter than it used to be in his times.
    What do you think?

marianne

Hi Madiha,

I had the same question and did some research and found this page which explains the length of different works from micro- fiction to epic novels. I hope it helps.

http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/wordcount.html

If I remember correctly, the max end of short story is 7500 words which is good since I am close to that. I can’t trim it anymore nor can I add enough to make it a novel and I also read somewhere that novellas are not popular any longer. I am sticking with the 7500 limit. Hope this helps.

mary2
    Participant

I am so happy you asked that question, Madiha and that you posted such a helpful link, Marianne. This is exactly what I was looking for.

marianne

Glad I could help. I was glad when I found that link, it answred a lot of questions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.