Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Location, Location, Location! What’s yours?

Location, Location, Location! What’s yours?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Location, Location, Location! What’s yours?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Shall we take a cue from the lovely ladies of the YA board and share where we’re writing from?

I’m in New York City, specifically Greenwich Village, where it is loud and silly. Love it!

Anyone in the area? Anyone in an area so different from NYC it could be a different planet? Inquiring minds love to know 🙂

Bonnie
    Participant

I live in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, which is just as beautiful as it sounds. A few years ago, after I got laid off from a job I hated anyway, I attended a few semesters at my local community college. The teachers were wonderful, and encouraged me to keep writing. In fact, my novel is set in a community college very like Lord Fairfax, except that it’s a transported castle from England and has ghosts. It’s a little bit like Terry Pratchett and a little bit like Jasper Fforde, if those great writers are familiar to any of you. But mostly like me, I hope!

That sounds delicious. Not the layoff part, mind. I was once laid off from a job I hated, and it still sucked 😉

Castles, ghosts, Terry Pratchett?! Yes, yes, yessssssssssssssss!

Jasmine Fahmy
    Participant

@miranda Does Egypt count as a different planet? Because if it does, greetings from an alien! -waves from her spaceship-

I’m from Alexandria originally, where the sea is way too overrated, but I’ve moved to Sadat City now. Less humidity, thank god, but more desert.

Egypt! Yaaay. A friend of my family is from Cairo, but he is the only person I know from your country. Very nice to meet you! I vote that we should all have spaceships.

Chiaki
    Participant

Spaceships! 😀 What if aliens lived among us and some people’s cars were actually spaceships? O_O

I’m from Mars, by the way 😛

Jasmine Fahmy
    Participant

So long as the spaceships are air-conditioned and have chocolate sundae dispensers, I’m game. =P

And hi, Chiaki! Mars must be way hotter than over here. You have my sympathies.

Rima Gokani
    Participant

Well London feels rather sedate compared to all these exotic locations. Tall buildings, crazy commutes… it really is a metal jungle. You can send some of that Mars heat here happily, we’ve had dismal and grey the last few days.

Jasmine Fahmy
    Participant

@reemzgok Londooon! I do love the dismal grey areas; I used to live in Manchester as a child and I miss it terribly. You’re more than welcome to some of our Egyptian heat. -sends some over-

Laurie Treacy
    Participant

Hi. I’m from the Hudson Valley, New York, steeped in history and creepy lore of its own. Nice to meet everyone.

elizabeth
    Participant

Hi! I am currently living in Atlanta, Georgia, where is it also extremely hot and humid.

I am from Kingston, New York originally, right near the Hudson Valley Laurie! I miss the scenery there. 🙁 It’s a beautiful area. I am actually setting a urban fantasy series in that area because of the history and creepy lore. 😀

Rima: I’ve always wanted to visit London! I can just imagine fantasy things happening there, with all the fog and rain. Seems like anything is possible.

Jasmine: Ooooo Egypt! I’ve always wanted to visit! I am huge mythology buff, and it’s on my list of places to visit!

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

I’m in Roma – but I hate ancient Roman history, haha! 🙂 I’m more geared towards the middle ages… long swords and bows and… whatever! 😀

Jasmine Fahmy
    Participant

@elizabeth You’re more than welcome to come! I’d rather have the creepy lore than the mythology, though. Creepy lore sounds so awesome!

@barb Ooooh! I love ancient Roman history! We have quite a bit of that over here, in Alexandria. Now if I could just put all of that stuff into a story….

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

Jas, Like I said, I hate ancient Romans! 😉 My first historical is set at the end of the 12th century, and as my knights go on crusade and one is captured… but he heads the other way, towards Damascus. Although Saladin came from Egypt! 😀
    By the way, speaking of aliens… if men come from Mars and women from Venus, I’m from Mercury – or Jupiter. Or from beyond the Milky Way, you decide! 😉

Rima Gokani
    Participant

@jasmine – ohh I use to live in Blackburn which is just round the corner from Manchester. Small world 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.