Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Looking for Betas & CPs for YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal

Looking for Betas & CPs for YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Looking for Betas & CPs for YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am forced to admit that I am on version 1.3.5 of my current project and despite 2 1/2 years of rewrites, I’ve still only shared it with a small handful of readers. I’m now at that point that I need help.

What I’m looking for:

I need general beta readers to give specific feedback – what you liked, what you didn’t like, what made sense, what was confusing. Thoughts on characters or the overall story arc. Tell me what you would write in a review. Just something more than “I liked it.” Even if you hated it. I need some reason for your response!

I’m also looking for one or two folks willing to give a more in depth critique. Help me find those pesky passives, point out places my characters are being dense, help me puzzle out ways to make it stronger. This is a lot of work and I’ve been hesitant to ask for this kind of help because it’s so time consuming. Sure, I spend hours a day lost in this thing, but I haven’t want to ask anyone else to do the same. But here it is, I’m asking.

As a whole, I’m looking for people who love paranormal and can point out places I’m being derivative and those who hate paranormal and can point me toward ways to make it appeal to a broader audience. Bonus points to anyone who can point me toward some comps. I’m really bad at that. I’m looking for people willing to cheer me on, but also tell me the hard stuff. I’m a big girl, I can take it. I’ve already imagined someone saying far worse in my head. I’m looking for a quick once through or someone willing to stick around for the long run.

What I can offer:

I am a really good beta. I read fast and I read like a reader. I don’t notice passives or adverbs or any of those things when I’m reading as a reader. If I can latch on to one character and throw myself into the plot, I’m all in.

As a critiquer, I am painfully slow, especially if I’m getting my own feedback at the same time. I have a very active, very bright 17-month-old with absolutely no ability to entertain himself and even less ability to let Mommy use her computer without pushing buttons. Which leaves nap time as my only time to write. My free time comes in chunks, depending on how well he’s sleeping and whether or not my husband (a freelance editor) has work. I think it took a solid two months to get through the last manuscript I critiqued. On the flip side, I read very carefully. I like to find plot holes and I’m pretty good at seeing things coming (so much so people refuse to watch movies with me), so if you can surprise me, you’ve done well. My background is in journalism so some of my language usage & punctation habits are different from fiction, meaning I’m not the best if you’re looking for a proof reader. But I’ve spent a lot of time and energy studying story structure, character archetypes and that sort of thing.

So there it is. My query is posted at jennykaczorowski.blogspot.com/p/guardian.html and my first chapter is posted at jennykaczorowski.blogspot.com/p/first-10-pages.html. There’s also more info in my profile here on LWC. Give it a read and if you’re interested, let me know and we’ll work something out.

I look forward to sharing my work and reading yours!

shakespeare
    Participant

I’d love a quick exchange. I’m still tweaking my novel for sending out, but I’d love a few more sets of eyes on it before I do something for real. I read the first pages of your novel, and though I don’t have time to do any deep editing, I can certainly offer a beta read to examine overall flow, plot, character, with a few grammatical things thrown in as I read.

Anonymous

Sounds great! I’m doing a quick read-through of a hard copy, but then I’d love to send it to you. I’ll send you a private message to work out the details!

ped99
    Participant

Hi Jenny,
    If you are still looking, I can take a look at your work. I am intrigued by what I have read so far.

Anonymous

I’d love to have another look! I thought I’d have revisions done and ready to send this week, but my little guy has been sick and refusing to nap. I’ll shoot you a private message when I have it ready to go 🙂

shakespeare
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know. Sorry your son is sick. We’ve all been suffering here, and my son is the latest to get it (I was the first).

Hope to hear from you soon!

Anonymous

Oi, everything is taking so much longer than I hoped! I’m in the home stretch now, so I’ll keep you guys posted when I have a draft ready.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.