Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / My story´s boring! What can I do?

My story´s boring! What can I do?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / My story´s boring! What can I do?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Anyone has sometimes the feeling “Gosh! My story´s so boring. What do I do wrong?”

Nothing. You´re doing fine. It´s just the first draft, don´t push yourself too hard. You can make it better the next time.

Nevertheless, here are some check-points:

1) How does your story start? If it starts boring but gets really exciting later, re-write. Think: How can you make the beginning more excitingly!

2) Who are your characters? Do they have strong points? Maybe a really cool hobby or ability? Or are they just anxious and can´t do anything?

3) The setting. Don´t bore your reader with too much description. Let him/she just see a few spots and boost their fantasy with a great (but short!) description. Don´t bother discribing the whole home of the protagonist. Just try to catch, whyt they might see.

4) The action. No, not that kind of James Bond action, but maybe a fight with a demon, a chase, a magic duel, maybe a romantic szene. You can make everything interesting, if you SHOW and not TELL. Even a szene in a supermarket can be interesting, if you show it.

5) A story can be really great and exciting in your mind. But, most of the time, it won´t do on the paper. You have to think over your sentences over and over again. Here starts the hard work and maybe is the thing why your story isn´t going well: You have to write what you mean. Don´t write around the bush! Don´t discripe, why your protagonist feels like that in that moment or why she´s doing that instead of this. Just do it! Nobody´s asking you later, why you didn´t write the protagonists feelings about broccoli. Because nobody cares about the protagonists feelings about broccoli. Easy, isn´t it?

I hope you feel the same as well.
    Sometimes it´s more easy just to write the story as of thinking about it.

What´s with you guys, do you have any tips, how to avoid a boring story?

xaenyth
    Participant

Great points fabienne!

Anonymous

@xaenyth: Thanks. I hope it maybe helps.

Jani
    Participant

I have the perfect thing for when this happens. Donald Maass does this thing on twitter called Breakout Thursday where he posts prompts, things you can do to your story and characters to make things a whole lot more interesting. There are also prompts that will help you improve your writing and make you look at scenes in a different manner. Seriously, go check it out.

http://tinyurl.com/3l33uhm (I save the prompts in a post on my blog to make it easier to find)

http://twitter.com/#!/DonMaass

Hope it helps.

xaenyth
    Participant

Jani – Those links are awesome. I think you’re my new hero. 🙂

Anonymous

That´s so cool. The man´s a god! – And, yeah, Jani, you´re the hero of the day 😀

Jani
    Participant

Woohoo. I’m glad I could help. I’ve got a printout with me when I’m writing, writing or revising.

jessicafriday
    Participant

@Jani – Fantastic. Adding this to Evernote, now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.