Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Nano – November will be here before we know it

Nano – November will be here before we know it

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Nano – November will be here before we know it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Becci
    Participant

Just curious if any of you are doing NanoWrimo this year. I planned to last year and backed out last minute. Planning to this year and going in much more prepared 🙂

If I can amp up the writing of the first novel, I’m hoping to write the second one during Nano. I’m always amazed when I read that a book was written during Nano (Anna and the French Kiss, crazypants!)

lenalothanas
    Participant

This will be my fifth year doing NaNoWriMo. The first three went really well, but last year was more difficult for me. I started over twice, typed until I was aching (and going crazy) and only just managed to win.

Anyway, I should be able to finish the first draft of my current book within a few days. Which gives me about two-and-a-half months to prepare for NaNo. 🙂

Melissa Hurst
    Participant

I’m not sure. If I can finish my current project, then I’d love to participate.

Becci
    Participant

@lenalothanas Fifth? NICE! I’ve never actually finished, but I am bound and determined this year.

I’m already prepped for what I’m writing for Nano, so now I just have to get the one I’m writing pre-Nano done. Speaking of… off to write!

Jani
    Participant

I did Nano for the first time last year, finished and loved it. Will definitely be doing it again this year. At the moment I’m doing Camp NaNoWriMo which is a lot of fun and I adore writing challenges. Is anybody else doing Camp NaNo?

lenalothanas
    Participant

@Becci: If you want some some extra encouragement, feel free to add me as a writing buddy! My username is Sahani. And good luck finishing your current project!

@Jani: I did the July camp, but as a rebel. I was already 20k into a draft and struggling a bit, so I used the camp as an extra incentive to get as many words as possible done every day. I wrote about 30k, which I was happy with. 🙂

Jani
    Participant

@lenalothanas That’s still great word count, congrats! The Camp novel I’m working on is sort of the second half of the novel I wrote for last year’s NaNo. Strange how things work out. Last year’s is a YA fantasy but I decided it was way to short, so I’m busy adding on a whole new storyline. It’s worth the time.

Laura Ann Swanson
    Participant

I think I understand the concept of Nano, but I have always been afraid to try.
    I am such an anxiety prone quitter, that I just know I would start hyperventilating thinking I wasn’t writing enough, and then stop participating alltogether.

How does it work?

Jani
    Participant

@laura It’s not really as stressful as it sounds. All you’re basically signing up for it to write 1700 words a day in the month of November. At the end of the month you have a 50 000 word novel written and it’s a good way to get the first draft done quickly. I like getting ahead, writing as much as possible in the first week or two so that if something happens and I can’t write on other days, I’m covered. If you don’t finish it doesn’t matter. Look at the amount of words you added and see it as writing you wouldn’t have had anyway. If you do your planning, and if you outline properly, you shouldn’t even have a problem.

Plus there’s the bonus of meeting other writers so you are definitely not alone. The support is fantastic. It’s a great community to be a part of and I’ve met some really awesome people through it.

Laura Ann Swanson
    Participant

There is no freaking way that I would ever be able to commit to something like that unless the kids were in school. November, however I may be more optimistic about trying.
    This summer has been a nightmare for getting anything done. I keep spinning my wheels.
    I sit to write, get interrupted. Go again and get in the middle of a thought, get interrupted. Rewrite the same paragraph 10 times before someone comes in crying or screaming or my husband needs the mac for something. Repeat, repeat, et all.

I’m hoping to be done with my rewrites on this novel come November, but if I am successful, the second one will need doing! 😀

shellflower
    Participant

I did Nanowrimo for the first time last November and it was awesome. It’s very motivating, from the pep talks to the new friends, to that little bar showing your progress. My recently finished novel was born of Nano. This year I am planning to work on a story inspired by the true story of a teen girl killing a toddler in a car wreck outside the high school my son attends. I’m going to change things a lot, but basically that is the inspiration.

Jenn
    Participant

I participate every year even though I’ve only won once. November’s a terrible month to focus on writing, what with finals and all. But everyone’s right about the support group. It’s a great way to help each other through 50,000 words 🙂

Juliana Haygert
    Participant

I would like to try but I think it’ll depend on my WIPs …
    I’ll probably finished the WIP I’m working on right now in about a month or so.
    I think I’ll be halfway through another WIP when November comes.
    Well, I’ll keep an eye on it. If I just started a WIP, I’ll participate …
    Otherwise, I’ll keep working on my own.

gwen
    Participant

I set a date of August 22nd for my YA novel. *hand head in shame and frustration*. Short story: My computer crashed and my external drive is unusable now. So it’s either providence or ugly, bad luck, but I’m starting over and need a new date and commit to a story. I’ve been looking at Nano thing in November, but never knew exactly how to go about getting involved. I need to use my Twitter Account and Facebook (liked myspace better) and my blog–seems to take away my time to write! If I do start up Twitter can we be friends? (*Did that just sound like a smidgen of old movie dialogue? lol)

shakespeare
    Participant

Oh, Gwen, that’s awful. Reminds me to e-mail my WIP to myself. I lost a book that way once, but a local IT guy managed to salvage almost the whole thing for me, even though the drive was toast.

I have two blogs, but I allow myself to write on them when I get my other writing done (otherwise, yes, they take away from my novels and plays). I don’t Twitter, though, and I Facebook about once a month. Pretty pathetic, I know!

I’m revising my first novel right now, but I have a huge rewrite of novel #2 coming up, and novel #3 is also patiently waiting for a revision. If I can get this all done by November, I’m set to at least complete (i.e. completely rewrite) the novel I tried to do last November. We’ll see if I get there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.