Home / Forums / List of Forums / Romance / Need a CP

Need a CP

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Romance / Need a CP

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

morlin
    Participant

I have one completed novel, Beyond the Land’s End, that needs help, esp. with tense/POV. This novel is a time-travel romance set in 18th century N. Carolina. My main character is a devout Christian and talks about it in detail in some spots. There’s a lot of violence as well.

Cinderella Syndrome, my WIP is about a natural witch who doesn’t remember her past-life as a witch and was killed at the stake along with her vampire husband. Her husband has spent the last 200+ years searching for her. It’s loosely based on Cinderella. It’s more like chick-lit. The more I think about it, the more I’d like a partner for that as well. I seem to be stuck and find myself wondering about direction.

Either (or both) book could use a fresh pair of eyes and thoughts.

Willing to trade.

mixamutt
    Participant

Hi Erika!

I just joined this website, so I need to stress that I have ZERO experience with critique.

I think your novel sounds interesting and right up my alley as something I would enjoy reading.

However, while I can certainly help with the tense, there is something I need to share about my view on POV.

I personally love a story told with multiple POV’s if it is done well. Novels told in this way rank among my favorites. I am sincere, however, when I tell you I believe I can help you no matter what POV format you are aiming for.

POV is something very much on my mind, and I have been banging my head endlessly about it.

Not because I don’t understand it, but because I know that my choice is no longer considered acceptable for new authors in the literary world, even though top authors use it.

I love it so much that I decided to take a chance and use it anyway. My biggest concern with my multiple POV use is that it is done well, and not jarring.

Note: I don’t always use multiple POV…just where I believe it makes the story richer.

Spending so much time considering my POV choice, has made me extremely aware of it….in everything, and sometimes to my dismay! LOL!

So I do believe I can help you, and hopefully we can help each other.

I just wanted to lay it out there though, in case the fact that I am using mulitple POV bothers you or makes you hesitate. So there it is 🙂

FYI- I’m pretty proud of my first query (which has yet to be sent out, since I am still revising my novel). IMHO it sounds very professional, but I would love to get another writer’s view on it.

Also, I am looking for critique in the same areas you are.

My romance novel takes place in medieval Scotland, and contains humor, action, and suspense, as well as passion.

And that is definitely not my Query!

Hope to hear from you either way!

Karen

indigograce
    Participant

Your Cinderella-esque story sounds very intriguing to me. It sounds like it could be quite humorous. Or on the lighter side of fare despite the being burned at the stake! I enjoy my humor mixed with serious dramatic moments.

I’d be interested in brainstorming on it. I am also very solid on POV and tense. I write from single POV’s per scene strictly. But if you’re going with multiple POV that’s ok. Word of advice – every thing I’ve read about current publishing wants single POV’s. But with self-publishing now, i think you can break those rules so long as your writing is tight and professional.

Drop me a line if you’re interested. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.