Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Opinion wanted: YA taboo subjects

Opinion wanted: YA taboo subjects

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Opinion wanted: YA taboo subjects

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

laurenmckellar
    Participant

Hello, Ladies Who Critique people ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m just writing for an opinion. I’ve been working on a YA piece for the last year about a girl who turns to alcoholism to deal with her mothers death/abandonment issues.
    Do you think alcoholism is too heavy a subject for YA when it’s the protagonist doing the drinking? There’s a happy ending with positive messages etc (not preachy, but correct lessons of don’t booze to cope etc); but is it too much?

I’d love to get an opinion on this; I’ve spent so much time on the novel, and am starting to think now maybe I shouldn’t keep revising if it’s too dubious a topic in the first place.

Best,
    Lauren

mary2
    Participant

About half of junior high and senior high school students drink alcohol on a monthly basis, and 14% of teens have been intoxicated at least once in the past year. Nearly 8% of teens who drink say they drink at least five or more alcoholic drinks in a row (binge drink).
    Source: http://www.medicinenet.com

I see no reason why this should be a taboo for YA. Its very relevant and kids need to know that the “relief” they are finding is only temporary and the hazards they are exposing themselves to.

merylf
    Participant

Are you kidding? These days no subject is taboo in YA. Drug use, alcohol, rape, sexual promiscuity. They’re all there.

If I were you I’d be more worried about the ‘correct lessons’. Teenagers will spot that a mile off. No-one likes to be preached to.

laurenmckellar
    Participant

Thanks for your replies ๐Ÿ™‚ I feel it’s not too heavy, and I know a lot of teens drink and many to excess; I’m more worried that an agent/parent might think it was inappropriate for the genre, inhibiting sales etc.
    And definitely being wary of the “correct message” bits. Thanks for the advice ๐Ÿ™‚

merylf
    Participant

Good luck! And never be afraid to confront the tough stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

joybubble
    Participant

I think it’s a great topic. Do it well, go deep, and be real. It’ll be great.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.