Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / Polly Courtney Sacks Harper Collins Over Cover of Chick Lit Book: Your Thoughts?

Polly Courtney Sacks Harper Collins Over Cover of Chick Lit Book: Your Thoughts?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / Polly Courtney Sacks Harper Collins Over Cover of Chick Lit Book: Your Thoughts?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

In case you haven’t heard, this week author Polly Courtney allegedly sacked her publisher over the cover of her latest book which she described as:

“…something frivolous, light and racy, which is the complete opposite of what’s inside my books. It is degrading to the writing and ultimately degrading to women. It’s sexist. A lot of chick lit patronises women. There’s intelligent writing out there and I don’t know why it has to be sold in such a fluffy package.”

(Read full article here: http://bit.ly/prMphM)

I was also surprised to learn that WHSmith (British bookstore & stationers) has dropped the term “Women’s Fiction” for labeling books on it’s shelves as it is deemed sexist.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that chick lit, or women’s fiction, is patronising, degrading?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.