Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Right age for YA

Right age for YA

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / Right age for YA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

madiha
    Participant

My 13 years old niece wants to read the Twilight series. At 10, she was reading Harry Potter. don’t know what to make of it because to me both books are miles apart.

Is it wrong to group both under YA? Should YA category be further sub-categorized into books for 12-5 and 15 onwards?

rachel
    Participant

I think that’s why they are currently starting a new category of YA that is New Adult. I believe (I could be wrong) that Harry Potter started as a MG. Not sure though.

My daughter read Harry Potter when she was 9. And loved it. I loved Twilight, but wanted to wait until she was old enough to feel comfortable asking me the questions that could arise from reading Twilight. Namely about the sex scenes. And weird stalker/love relationship. She’s 11 and I’ve seen this level of maturity in her behavior, so I recently let her read the Twilight books. They did bring up questions, but not nearly as much as I thought.

And she didn’t care for the first book because it was “too much” about romance and not enough action. Funny. As you can imagine, the Hunger Games series is her favorite by far. 🙂

mary2
    Participant

I am not sure about how the classification into ages idea would work out but I know for sure I wouldn’t let my kids get near the Twilight series before they reach their teens. Even so, I’ll think twice.
    I am over 30 and it made me wince (drinking blood during a vampire pregnancy *shudder).

iliadfan
    Participant

As far as I know, there are two categories of YA. Ages 12+, and Ages 14+. I believe the early Harry Potter books were sold as MG.

Okay, found it. Agent Kristin Nelson (represents Sarah Rees Brennan, Allie Carter, Gail Carriger, etc) talks about it here: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/02/fridays-with-agent-kristin-episode-2.html

Her main point is the difference between MG and YA, but she defines each category before going on to say what differentiates them.

New Adult aims for a slightly higher age range, 18-30. http://sjaejones.com/blog/2009/new-adult-shelving/ That’s an old blog post, back when people first started talking about New Adult as a separate category, but the writer of the blog acquires books for St. Martin’s Press…

madiha
    Participant

Thank you ladies for your very helpful comments. I still find it hard to believe that something that’s suitable for a 30 yr old is OK for an 18 yr old as well. But maybe I am just old-fashioned.

iliadfan
    Participant

Have to agree with you on that, Madiha. Not so much suitability as that life experience gives you such a completely different outlook (or interpretation) at 30 than it does at 18. I’m still kind of stunned that Hunger Games was sold as YA (I loved it, but I wouldn’t have been able to handle that violence in my teens- can barely handle it now). On the other hand, the safest place to experience anything is a book…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.