Home / Forums / List of Forums / Crime & Mystery / Seeking CPs for my humourous murder mystery writing, & similar in return

Seeking CPs for my humourous murder mystery writing, & similar in return

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Crime & Mystery / Seeking CPs for my humourous murder mystery writing, & similar in return

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wendykain
    Participant

I am hoping to team up with a couple of critique partners. Of course I will critique their work, in a timely fashion. I envisage these partnerships as ongoing. My current project is a short story, adapted from the script of a murder mystery dinner theatre production which was very successfully run during the past tourist season. It is a story set over a few hours, in which a murder takes place, and various people who are at the dinner step forward for one reason or another, and then as time goes on it becomes increasingly clear that a number of those, as well as other characters, are suspects. It has many twists and turns. Unexpected characters appear, and there is a great deal of humour on an ongoing basis. Of course eventually the Detective solves the mystery, but all through, the questions of who did the murder, by what means it was done, and what the motive was, continually baffle. Like murder mystery dinner theatre, this has a certain levity, though I would not quite explain the book as entirely “light”. Nonetheless it is a comedy as well as a murder mystery. The story is set in Mexico, and makes much of the differences in the cultures between Mexico and north of the border. The book is very short with a total word count of less than 20,000, unless it is decided that such a length is really too short. I am hoping to find critique partners who would enjoy reading something like that. My own favourite mystery writer is of course Agatha Christie. The information that the movie Murder by Death remains a favourite of mine, might be a further indicator. I like to read, John Grisham, Daniel Silva.

annieg
    Participant

It sounds like we have similar writing styles and interests. I am new here and seeking Cps as well.

wendykain
    Participant

OK Annie. Why not send me your first chapter, by email, in MSWord, with a line or two about what aspects in particular you would seek a critique for. I’ll give you my thoughts and we can see how well (or otherwise) we work together. wendy@murderinmexico.com. If you aren’t ready to go yet just let me know and I’ll send you my first chapter and you can be the guinea piggy.
    looking forward to it.

annieg
    Participant

Go ahead and send me your chapter. I will be ready to send you mine later today. Give me a heads up as well as to the type of critique you are looking for.
    I am looking for general honest critique. Does it flow, am I building suspense, and most importantly for the first chapter do I have a strong enough hook?
    I am excited!
    agustely@gmail.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.