Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / So ladies, what are you currently working on?

So ladies, what are you currently working on?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / So ladies, what are you currently working on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

I’d love to hear about your latest project!

Juliana Haygert
    Participant

Hey ladies!

I’m “polishing” an older YA paranormal romance MS of 80k words–the heroine is 19 yo and her guy is 24.
    It’s been professionally critiqued already, but I still feel like I could get some other feedback on it …
    It contains: visions, healing touches, fates, demons and unheard gods.

Also, I just finished outlining and began writing a new MS. This one is more Urban Fantasy (with a bit of romance, of course). The protagonist is 20 yo and her guy is 27.
    It contains: Kung Fu, warriors, Chinese mythology.

Note: You may be wondering why I classify my writings as older YA or NA seeing as my heroines and heroes are 20 something. It’s because of my voice and my tone, which sound way more YA than adult.
    If that’s not okay, let me know and I’ll switch groups.

Jenn
    Participant

@ Juliana: that sounds fine! Teens like to read up anyway. And I’m intrigued by your story ideas so far!

My main project right now is revising my YA Sword & Sorcery (kind of), where the narrator has hijacked the story, much to the characters’ chagrin. I’ve got a lot of re-writing ahead. It contains: a classic trio (prince, wizard, thief), ghosts, alternate realities, and clock magic.

Stefanie Gaither
    Participant

Ooooh everybody’s story ideas sound so cool!

@Juliana: Visions and demons are always fun! And I’m really intrigued by the idea of a fantasy that deals with Chinese mythology! And ditto what Jenn said about kids reading up. I feel like there’s not enough books out there with characters in this age range, personally.

@jenn: Sword and Sorcery ftw! And a hijacking narrator? That sounds like it could be a lot of fun 🙂 Good luck on your rewrites! If you ever want somebody to bounce ideas off of, I’m always happy to try and help!

As for me, a couple months back I shelved a paranormal romance novel I’d completed/been submitting, and have since embarked on a new YA sci-fi with aliens and interplanetary wars. It’s got a dual pov, one from a girl who’s an alien/human hybrid and the target of some nasty extraterrestrial warriors because of her ancient, powerful bloodline. Other pov is from one of said extraterrestrial warriors.

Been taking lots of notes and trying to build a unique world to go with these characters (easier said than done, I’m finding out!)

Melissa Hurst
    Participant

Ooh, my WiP has a dual pov between the male and female protagonists:)

Laura Ann Swanson
    Participant

@Julianna – Kung fu and cute guys = bestseller. 😀

@jenn & Stephanie Both of those sound awesome, I would love to hear more.

Myself, I am in the middle of rewriting a MG (10-14) fantasy called TOME. I hated my first draft, so I spent a few months world building, plotting, outlining, and wrote a 150 page roughdraft/outline that I am now writing a good first draft from. Here’s my so-far blurb

It’s a world where books aren’t just entertaining, they’re magical. Tome is a tiny world unto itself, where knowledge is passed from one Master to the next via the reading of magical Tomes. The MC is a boy at the beginning of his apprenticeship to the Master Baker (which he is not thrilled about), but things go awry and he finds himself embroiled in castle intrigue, a plot to overthrow the King, and a discovery about the nature and origin of the Tomes that will open up his world in ways no one would have imagined…that is, no one except the King.

Stefanie Gaither
    Participant

@melissa: Awesome! It’s been tricky, trying to give them distinct voices, but it’s been a fun challenge, too.

@laura: Sounds interesting! The whole idea of knowledge passing from one Master to the next kind of makes me think of The Giver, which is one of my all-time favorite books 🙂 I love the name of the world, too.

Melissa Hurst
    Participant

You’re right about making the voices distinct. It’s been hard but fun at the same time.

Jenn
    Participant

@laura: wow, that sounds awesome!

@melissa and Stefanie: Do you guys have any tips for making distinct voices? Most of the ones I’ve found talk about accents and contractions, which isn’t very helpful.

Anonymous

Everyone’s projects sound so interesting!

Stefanie–Your WiP sounds fabulous! I love hardcore sci-fi, but I haven’t been finding very much of it to read in YA lately.

Jenn–Distinct voices are a challenge. For me I just have to keep writing in that voice until I start to understand the character’s syntax, diction, and personality. I never write dual POVs–so that would be an added challenge. But even for secondary characters, I write a lot of story stories from their POV so that the dialogue is authentic and original in the main WiP. For me at least, it is all about finding their specific sense of humor (or lack of humor!) and then going from there.

I’m working on a crossover novel. My MC is a boy who is invisible. It’s a romance. And the first time I’ve ever written a male MC, so I’ve been enjoying that challenge.

Jenn
    Participant

“For me at least, it is all about finding their specific sense of humor (or lack of humor!) and then going from there.”

I like that! Thanks 🙂

Juliana Haygert
    Participant

Ladies, we’ve got some goodies in here!

Laura Ann Swanson
    Participant

Is anyone else having a hard time figuring out where to click and how to follow different conversations?
    Is there a setting or something to make it … more readable?

Tracy Rohlfing
    Participant

@jenn I read a couple of blogs today on voice that I thought were interesting. One is from last yrs Write-on-con http://writeoncon.com/2010/08/voice-by-literary-agent-elana-roth/
    The other I thought had something that was interesting
    She also mentioned that beginning writers will often suppress their natural voices as they become so focused on the mechanics of writing. In short, one’s voice can be critique workshopped out of them if the writer has a quirky style etc. Often times her job is to allow new writers permission to discover their voice again. (Now it’s not to say you ignore craft mechanics, any good writer is going to figure out how to manage both.)

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2011/08/critique-workshopped-voice-right-out-of.html

Here’s my main WIP (It’s kind of a raw 1st blurb). It’s a YA paranormal romance. (Like 40% paranormal & 60% romance).

The women in Emelia’s family have always had an alluring power. Power deeper than beauty and strong enough to drive men mad but Emelia doesn’t know that.
    At home Emelia Montgomery is the sun in her universe. Her boyfriend and friends are all too happy to stay in her gravitational pull but it’s not her beauty or kindness that keeps them in orbit but she doesn’t know that either.
    This summer when she receives an invitation to stay with a distant Aunt Em’s eyes will be opened as she learns answers to things she’s never questioned. There Em finds what made her loved at home will now repel what she desires most.
    Em never imagined what was supposed to be a fun summer away from home would result in a life decision between the family way and the guy she’s falling for who hates what her family is.

Stefanie Gaither
    Participant

@laura: It is a little difficult. Seems like this place is getting busy already, which is awesome, but I feel like I might be missing people who are saying things to me :s

@heidi: Yeah, I think it’s a bit of an underrepresented genre in YA, for sure. I don’t know if I’d call mine “hard sci-fi”; I guess that depends on your definition of the term. There’s definitely lots of technology and science and all that good stuff, and of course aliens are obviously pretty far into the sci-fi territory, but I like to keep it all accessible. Full-disclosure: books like Dune put me to sleep =) Yes yes, I know…blasphemy coming from a sci-fi writer…

@jenn: Hmmm… Well, whenever I come up with characters I tend to base their speech patterns on people (or a combination of people) that I know in real life, so that helps. I’m constantly asking myself: would such and such actually say that? Would they use that word? And if they wouldn’t, then the characters based on them don’t, either. Eventually the voice just sort of grows out of this, until it becomes second nature.

Also, one thing that I try to keep in mind for this particular wip: Men and women typically have different speech patterns as defined by their genders, too; i.e.–men tend to speak in short, more direct sentences, talk in concrete terms rather than abstract, ask fewer questions, that sort of thing…but that’s getting into generalities. Every character is unique, of course;but thinking about gender differences still might be a decent starting point, assuming we’re just talking about distinguishing a male from a female voice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.