Terry Pratchett

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mary2
    Participant

I am a huge YA fan and my niece recently recommended reading Terry Pratchett’s works. Am on his website and the guy seems to have written a lot. Where do you think I should start? What are some of your fav Pratchett books?

annstanleywriting
    Participant

The Color of Magic

madiha
    Participant

“The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents”

It’s a children book but like most Disney films, the adults appreciate the humor just as much if not more The fantastical world that the author has created, complete with talking cats and rats, is surprisingly believable. Dry wit, dark humor, adventure, character development from the cat down to his side-kick who is called stupid-looking-kid – it has to be one of my favorites.

jenny
    Participant

Terry Pratchett! Read everything!!

Ahem. I think I disagree with Ann–The Color of Magic is the very first Discworld book, but it’s definitely not the strongest. I like his Night Watch series best, which starts with “Guards! Guards!” though you could certainly get into the next one, “Men at Arms,” without reading it and it’s better. “Equal Rites” and “Mort” are also good places to start.

However, those aren’t YA, just straight (excellent) fantasy. I believe the Tiffany Aching books (“The Wee Free Men” was the first, I think) were his first YA, and I’m told they’re excellent, though I haven’t read them myself.

mary2
    Participant

Thank you ladies for your suggestions. Can’t wait to get started this weekend.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.