Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / The Publishing Industry

The Publishing Industry

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / The Publishing Industry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chiaki
    Participant

Okay, so I figured the other day that someone should make a thread where people can ask questions they have about publishing, the industry, etc., and this could also be a place for advice in that area.

So I decided that I’d start the thread ^_^

‘Kay so I’ll start. I was wondering what the standard manuscript format for a novel (with parts) looks like? I’ve been surfing the web and visiting different writing blogs looking for the answer, and the authors all seem to have different opinions (with, of course, a few aspects in common). Also, do you normally write your drafts in a different way, and then edit them to look like a manuscript after you’re finished the draft? Or do you write already in the correct format? Sorry if my questions don’t make sense. I’m not really good at wording things >.>

laura
    Keymaster

Hi Chiaki!

Please join our new group – Publishing Advice & Help. Questions like this may be better answered over there. Thanks!

Chiaki
    Participant

Oh okay, thanks! I didn’t know there was already a group for this :S do you know how to delete posts…?

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

For SFWA (even if you’re not American, but want to enter that market) here’s how you should format a manuscript (courtesy of someone from the David Farland Writer Forum because I dared sending my pieces in Times New Roman – I HATE Courier! ;-)):
    http://www.sfwa.org/archive/writing/format_betancourt.htm
    Hope this helps!

Chiaki
    Participant

Thanks so much, Barbara! 😀

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

Please remember that agents will have formatting guidelines when you submit, just as publishing houses (that take unagented manuscripts) will have their own formatting guidelines. Refer to the agent or publisher’s blog or website for up to date formatting information, along with what genres they are open to and if they are currently open or closed to submissions.

Chiaki
    Participant

@kimberlyfdr Thanks XD That’s a good idea 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.