Home / Forums / List of Forums / Publishing Advice & Help / The Traditional vs Self-Publishing Route

The Traditional vs Self-Publishing Route

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Publishing Advice & Help / The Traditional vs Self-Publishing Route

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Here is an article I found this morning which summarizes well both sides of the argument. Feel free to leave your thoughts below!

http://selfpublishingresources.com/should-you-self-publish%E2%80%94or-wait-for-a-traditional-deal/

erine
    Participant

If you want another option to traditional and self publishing, try http://www.pubslush.com. Its a new website that uses social networking and voting to pick who gets published. They also give back to children in need. check it out!

liannesimon
    Participant

One factor I’ve been considering is the amount of money it’s likely to take to get my manuscript read by the right agent. I wonder how many agents have the time to read e-mail submissions. If I pay for a pitch or critique at a conference or workshop, at least I can be confident the agent or author is reading part of my work. The question then becomes how many I have to pay for before finding the right agent. Am I better off spending the money on professional editing and self-publishing? At least that way I can work out some sort of a budget.

xaenyth
    Participant

@erine – I took a look at pubslush. It sounds like a cool idea but I didn’t end up signing up because I couldn’t figure out how much it *cost* to support a book. Do you see it somewhere? It’s probably written in a huge font in bright red on page one and I can’t find it, because I think I’m going blind. If there’s no way to find out the cost, I think it’s kind of creepy.

Hermina Vass
    Participant

@xaenyth If you click on the support button at a book’s page you can check out the possibilities without any commitment on your part. 🙂 Even if you make a “bid” you can still cancel it later.

xaenyth
    Participant

Thanks for pointing that out Hermina. I couldn’t see it because I hadn’t signed up yet.

So it looks the minimum bid is $25 and they say you need 2000 supporters to have your book published. Is that right? Your book has to make $50,000 before they’ll publish it? Or am I still crazy?

Hermina Vass
    Participant

Yupp, that seems to be the right conclusion. It does have an insane-ish ring to it.

Dianna Gunn
    Participant

I’m definitely planning to publish my first book–and hopefully a few after that–with a traditional publisher. I’m not desperate to get into one of the Big Six though–I would much rather work with a small press.

I’ll probably end up self-publishing something eventually, but for now I want to do the work and get the traditional publishing deal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.