Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Why do we love writing and reading chick lit? Why do characters like Carrie Bradshaw, Bridget Jones and any character created by Jane Green suck us in? Why do we fumble through the last chapters afraid of losing our friendship with these women, these fictious women?

My guess is the same reason we write it: we see ourselves in the storylines and characters.

Clearly, chick lit is not for everyone. I wrote a chick lit book, blood sweat and tears, and even some of my closest girlfriends read it only because I wrote it and, of course, because of their cameos.

So, you, like me, are draw to this genre, as authors and as readers. But why?

In order to grow in the category, or even get to the heart of our current manuscripts, we need have a clear and concise vision of what it is we are using to grab the reader.

Is it a sexy career, the attention of men, the over-charged female emotions, the shoes, shopping vicariously, a written daydream…what is it?

laura
    Keymaster

I think it’s a bit of everything you said! To me reading chick lit is almost (almost!) as satisfying as sitting around with girl friends and discussing the above. I’m a girly girl, and I like to hear and share stories of career, men, friendships & family in real life and in fiction.
    There has to be more than that to the story for me though. I like to see change in a person, improvement, strength and overcoming struggles. Chick lit is really good at that, whereas in real life some of the people I meet are not so hot at learning from their mistakes and making improvements in their lives! I always feel inspired and empowered at the end of a good story.

cmcgowan
    Participant

Shoes! 🙂

I read and want to write “chick lit” and “young adult chick lit” because I see myself in the writing. I love thinking I could be some of the strong female characters I’ve read in my life like Scout or “Towanda” and want to write characters that are as memorable one day.

I also, while not really a “feminist” per say, appreciate the genre being dedicated to women. We are a beautiful species! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.