Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Women’s Fiction / Chick Lit / What are the Reasons we Love Writing Chick Lit: Shoes, Men, Sexy Careers, etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Why do we love writing and reading chick lit? Why do characters like Carrie Bradshaw, Bridget Jones and any character created by Jane Green suck us in? Why do we fumble through the last chapters afraid of losing our friendship with these women, these fictious women?

My guess is the same reason we write it: we see ourselves in the storylines and characters.

Clearly, chick lit is not for everyone. I wrote a chick lit book, blood sweat and tears, and even some of my closest girlfriends read it only because I wrote it and, of course, because of their cameos.

So, you, like me, are draw to this genre, as authors and as readers. But why?

In order to grow in the category, or even get to the heart of our current manuscripts, we need have a clear and concise vision of what it is we are using to grab the reader.

Is it a sexy career, the attention of men, the over-charged female emotions, the shoes, shopping vicariously, a written daydream…what is it?

leighta
    Participant

All of the above?

While unintentional, my book in a way is like a ‘sliding doors’ version of my life; how it might have panned out had certain events been different. Also as a friend pointed out, perhaps a bit fantasy based as well.

I think there is a realism to the characters in chick lit. They are not overly perfect so we can relate to them – although their lives may be a slightly better (or worse) version of our own in some ways. Eg might be struggling at work but has a fantastic social life or might not have the male attention she’s after right now but has a fabulous apartment.

I think I like reading and writing chick lit because of both the similarities and differences.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.