Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / What are you currently working on?

What are you currently working on?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / What are you currently working on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Plinan
    Participant

Let’s share what we are working on! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am working on a fantasy story with real-world cities – monsters in a modern city. Still in the beginning stage trying to sort the overall story out.

I love your description of monsters in a modern city. My fella frequently asks me “how’s your monster book going?” and it always makes me happy.

My monsters live in New York City (like me…write what you know like the back of your eyelids, I suppose?) and I’m still sorting out a lot of their details, too. I’m on draft two, and the only thing that survived were some very, very bitchy witches from Brooklyn. Luck luck luck to us both!

Dawn
    Participant

My husband and I are still fleshing out quite a bit on our project. It will be a series of books from different character’s point of views on basically the world around them, which is rapidly changing for everyone. The series deals with a group of people that call themselves The Agency, and then there are characters that deal with The Agency on and off. The Agency consists of three immortal brothers, two twin sister feline shifters, and possibly other miscellaneous characters. Other main characters are an immortal techno-mage (male), a 3/4 cat shifter female kitten, and a full blood wolf shifter (male). The last character’s book is becoming my baby, because it explains everything from his journal entries. I need to work on it more. Okay, that’s enough jabbering ๐Ÿ™‚

Chiaki
    Participant

Plinan and Miranda- Monsters in a real city… epicness ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s cool how you guys have the same idea but different. I look forward to reading them someday ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck to both of you!

Dawn- O_O That’s a book you don’t see everyday. It sounds amazing! I especially like the many different colourful characters and how you’re cowriting it. Are you doing one book and your husband doing the other? Or are you working on the same book together?

I’m going to put a summary of my book up here when I actually come up with a decent summary that doesn’t give away too much ๐Ÿ˜› Stay tuned! But not really ๐Ÿ˜›

Chiaki
    Participant

I think I might have posted too many smileys…

Anonymous

I recently finished the first draft of an urban fantasy and am slogging through the first round of revisions. My story is set in a world a bit like ours where magic is common and all types of supernatural factions live together (or try to). My heroine was born with immunity to magic and because of that she grew up on the fringe of society, scorned and feared. Sheโ€™s come to grips with that and has created a quiet life for herself. That is, until one day, an angel with a demon problem comes knocking on her door. Before she knows it, she finds herself in the middle of a plot to overthrow one of the ruling factions and a race against time to save the angel that dragged her in to the whole mess to begin with.

Kristen, I love your premise! If you need someone to put a fresh eye on some chapters, let me know ๐Ÿ˜€

Chiaki
    Participant

I second that. It sounds amazing! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ XD

Rima Gokani
    Participant

I’m currently editing a true life novel about two people from different backgrounds and how circumstances through them together. She has an abusive husband, he lost his wife in July 7th. She’s lost her memory when they meet and he is still grieving over his wife. But slowly the two become closer that is until her husband turns up. It’s quiet heart felt and real world not so much fantasy, though I love reading fantasy and have critiqued quite a few. My second book which I’m plotting out is based on a group of factory workers (girls) who develop superpowers. It’s set just after world war 2 and everyone is inhaling a drug to suppress their emotions to prevent another world war apart from these girls with superpowers. They try to get to the root of where this drug is coming from. When they finally meet the creator they are left to make a decision destroy the drug or save their families. This causes a split between the girls as some have more at stake. However when the creators right hand man goes off the rails and try’s to take brutal control himself the creator is forced to turn to the girls and together they work to destroy what’s got out of hand. That’s the bare crux at the moment.

elizabeth
    Participant

Chiaki: Never such a thing as too many smiley. ๐Ÿ˜€

I just finished rewriting my steampunk Snow White retelling set on the snowy tundra of a country I made up.

It’s about an exorcist named Sera. On her deathbed her mother confesses to trying to stop a demonic summoning; Sera promises to stop it. But when Sera meets the demon summoner and finds out he wants to summon the demon to save his dying sister by using the demon’s heart, she realizes there’s a lot more going on than her mother initially told her.

Anonymous

Miranda: That would be great! Can I message you in a week or so? That will give me a chance to give my first few chapters a good read through before I send them your way. And I’d love to return the favour if you have anything you’d like a fresh set of eyes to look at. ๐Ÿ™‚

elizabeth: That sounds really interesting. Steampunk + a retelling of a fairy tale = awesome in my book! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

elizabeth: I agree with Kristen, that sounds really interesting!

As for myself, I’m just starting a traditional fantasy based on Filipino supernatural folklore and is set in a sort of Southeast Asia analogue. I’m just began writing it so I’m still sorting out the plot in my head, but it does feature a pair of estranged sisters with unusual talents.

@kristenhurl of course, lady!

@elizabeth steampunk Snow White?! I wish there was a smiley face for *squeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Welcome, Vernieda!

elizabeth
    Participant

Kristen, Vernieda, and Miranda: thank you SO much. I just finished a total rewrite of the book. I still need to revise and get some beta feedback, but to keep myself occupied I am drafting the query letter.

Which turns out is bad for your book self esteem. ๐Ÿ™ I looked at my query and said, “Hmm, exorcist. Summoner trying to summon a demon, dark family secret…not exactly untrodden ground here. Noooooooooo! My book sounds like a big cliche fest!”

So you guys are making me feel LOADS better.

Miranda: NYC is a great place for a monster book! All those abandoned tunnels….:D

Kristen: I love how you’re making the fantasy races sort of urban. That’s my favorite part of urban fantasy and why I keep coming back to it. Plus, you had me at angel. ๐Ÿ˜€ The summoner in my book is a fallen angel. I am sucker for angel, fallen or otherwise.

Vernieda: I LOVE supernatural folklore! I really love mythology in general, and I am always reading about various cultures and their mythology. That sounds really interesting!

shellflower
    Participant

I am torn between working on the YA Urban Fantasy I “finished” last year about a nerdy girl with no friends who’s video game quest suddenly becomes her real life quest to save the world from her dad’s dangerous invention and my newer dystopian novel. The dystopian novel is about a mind-controlled girl living on a lunar module who has to choose between being used as a sex slave or trusting a stranger and joining the resistance. Both need substantive editing big time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.