Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / What Are You Tired of Seeing?

What Are You Tired of Seeing?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / What Are You Tired of Seeing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

xaenyth
    Participant

Is there anything you’re sick of seeing in fantasy/sci fi?

For me, I’m over cookie-cutter vampires. Not giving up my love for them entirely, but I want to see something new and different done with them if you’re writing them.

Fairies. I’ve been seeing a lot of fairy stuff lately. Not that it’s all bad, but I’m getting kind of sick of seeing it.

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

mostly fantasy (I don’t read much sci-fi):
    Quests. Hero’s Journeys. Good vs Evil. You’ll never find that in my stuff – I think the world is in shades of gray, not black and white! πŸ˜‰
    Vampires: I was stuck on Ann Rice’s first 3 vampire books until I met fellow blogger and indie author Joleen Naylor. Her vampire is quite of my liking! πŸ˜‰ I read the first two books almost at the same time, but now I have other stuff to go through before I can get my hands on book 3 (out soon)…
    I was never fond of werewolves or other shape-shifters of that sort – I hate talking animals since childhood (Disney movies trauma! ;-)). I enjoyed a paranormal romance with gypsy mythology instead of the usual suspects (see today’s post on my blog for that): http://creativebarbwire.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/book-review-and/

lyrwriter
    Participant

Well, something I’m tired of seeing in YA sci-fi/fantasy is situations where you know WAY AHEAD OF TIME that the two protagonists (or a protagonist and a supporting character) are going to end up kissing and/or in love, no matter how much they may detest each other right off the bat). I know, I know, people like romance and everything, but I just get tired of it because it’s a boring and predictable scenario. I loved BEHEMOTH (the second book in Scott Westerfeld’s LEVIATHAN series) because it totally faked me out in this regard, and I was so happy to see someone break the clichΓ©, even though it was only temporary.

Anyhow, the point is that I’d love to see more people write YA fantasy/sci-fi stories where NOBODY FALLS IN LOVE, or at least where it’s not possible to predict right from the get-go which people are going to be paired up. Not sure how popular such books would be with the masses, but I would love them. πŸ™‚

Dawn
    Participant

Ack on the shifter hatred πŸ™ At least in all of my stories, they don’t speak while in wolf form. The whole talking with that big sloppy tongue just doesn’t seem possible. Now, they do speak in body language, but that’s it. Which is why there is no dialogue between wolves in my stories.

I don’t know what I’m sick of seeing except for facebook’s swarm of Edward Cullen *gag* Vampires don’t sparkle. Are they all evil? Maybe not, but unless they are ancient, they burn in the sun!

elizabeth
    Participant

I agree. Vampires have been done a lot. I still love them, but I want something new and interesting. Jim Butcher in the Dresden Files does cool stuff with the vampire courts I think.

I hopefully have done something interesting with my vampires by making them not dead. πŸ˜€ But even if not, they aren’t the main mythological creatures in my stories, more like background noise, so it’s no biggie if they are.

Faeries might give me a run for my money though. I haven’t read a lot of books with faeries in them because they didn’t really appeal to me. Maybe you could give me a quick “this is been DONE” run down regarding faeries, Xeanyth?(and anyone else).

My shapeshifters don’t do furry forms either. I just can’t picture it in my work. πŸ˜€ So instead they simply change into a wolf, or tiger, or whatever. They are smarter, and they are aware of themselves, but they look just like regular versions of their animal. Maybe a bit bigger sometimes. Maybe a weird eye color sometimes. But they look like animals.

What’s been done to death for me is urban fantasy chicks who are bitchy. I don’t mind strong females with issues, but it feels like a lot of them are cranky loners that bite everyone’s heads off and yet somehow still have friends. I love, love, love urban fantasy but I think the magical detective thing needs to be retired for a little while. You can still write UF and not have your main character be a detective that solves crimes with magic.

Not that I don’t think it’s possible for someone to come up with something new and interesting. I am currently writing an UF with a cranky female hero (but she’s not JUST cranky) and she works at a magical odds and ends agency. So I am sort of breaking my own rules, but hopefully I am also bringing something new to the table as well. πŸ˜€

annsquared
    Participant

Ummm…covers with tattooed half-naked man torsos on them. Or….covers with tattooed half-naked woman torsos on them.

Oh, you meant in the actual books. πŸ™‚

Shifters (*ducks behind the computer*). Vampires. Heroines who are snark and b####y to everyone for no particular reason. Any plot that revolves around there being a ‘Chosen One’. It just destroys my suspension of disbelief every time. The bad guys would all just group together and kill said ‘Chosen One’ and problem solved. But I digress…..

And I am so with you on the good vs evil thing, Barbara.

ETA: I started my response and walked away for a minute before I finished and posted. Cheers, Elizabeth! Glad to see I’m not the only one tired of bitchy-for-no-reason heroines!!

elizabeth
    Participant

Ann: Yay! I am not the only one sick of b**ty for no reason heroines! I like a good anti-hero any day of the week, but I need to feel like there’s a reason, and I need to see consequences. If she mouths off to the Great High Poobah Vampire Lord King Regent, I want to see some serious backlash, not the Vampire Lord King Regent laughing at her spunk. I want to see her friends ditch her because she’s constantly mouthing off to them. πŸ˜€

And Ann, maybe you could PM me and elaborate on what exactly you don’t like about Chosen Ones. Because in my current WIP I have one, and I would like to make this interesting and new. So it would be helpful to figure out what traps to avoid. The book is about fate vs. free will, so she’s not a traditional Chosen One, but it’s close enough that I want to sidestep the cliche.

Anonymous

Vampires. Definitely tired of the romanticized vampires. I’d like to see a few monstrous vampires or at least vampires who don’t sound human.

I’m also generally tired of faeries or thought I was until I started reading the Replacement today while having my car serviced. Or I guess it depends. lol

I can do without Chosen One stories. ESPECIALLY in traditional fantasy.

annsquared
    Participant

Hey elizabeth.
    I’ll PM you too, but this will probably help: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChosenOne

Before you click on the link, though, I must warn you (and anyone else brave enough to try it)…. you are almost guaranteed to lose hours of your life on that site. Proceed with caution! πŸ™‚

Jani
    Participant

This is such a good thread. Every time you guys mention something you don’t want to see that I don’t have in the MS I’m busy working on, I get all happy. None of my stories really feature a love interest. My current MC used to be such a bad person and still doesn’t want to own up and step forward. She’s such a coward sometimes.

quinnykins
    Participant

Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus. Sometimes it’s really obvious when you read it in people’s drafts. The hansom mis-understood something (werewolf or vampire 90% of the time), encounters completely “speshul” snowflake woman/girl.

Vampires. Supernatural anything as well. It has been done and it was done well (as far as vampires go I stopped and Bram Stoker’s Dracula), however I am yet to read any new stories in these genres that are good.

David Eddings does the plucky hero, chosen one very well. Raymond E Fiest does high fantasy very well. Peter F Hamilton and Ian M Banks have sci fi (among others) tied up. So to write those two pure genres well you really have to work hard to create something different.

Try-to-hard strong female characters. Polgara from The Belgariad etc was fantastic… too often I see the strong female character go so far away from actually being a woman that you end up stuck reading a character that doesn’t do anything but try too hard at being a man. And then when the author wants to put in some female traits it then can come full circle as a Mary Sue.

Also if I go into a Sci-Fi or Fantasy section of a book store I want to see Sci-Fi and Fantasy. If there isn’t a space colony, future tech, knights in armour, barbarians and wizards then get out. Supernatural romance is a genre of its own at this stage and I think the sci-fi and fantasy section does need to be filtered a bit more.

Yeah, and you can get off my lawn too…

Dawn
    Participant

@elizabeth, I’m so glad I’m not the only one that keeps shifters as shifters and not weres. Mine have maybe a slightly bigger build than the non-“human” animals. I’m also trying to go into a Scientifical “this could be possible” approach. Which is why The X Factor doesn’t work out so well πŸ˜‰

I’m a little tired of Fae, except for when I read the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. I think I’m so cyclical with my monster/creature kicks that I probably never really get sick of them, just move on to my next phase (currently demons) until I wear myself out and circle back to something else.

I am definitely sick of the Bitchy Chick Syndrome, like you ladies have mentioned. I enjoy a good verbal smack down as much as the next lady, but I’ve read a few UF books lately where I just wanted the heroine to shut her mouth and do her job. Also whining. Good grief, I hate whining.

Last but not least, while I am tired of seeing covers with chicks in low-cut halter tops, no head, and unique/symbolic tattoos, I’m even more tired of covers featuring man boob.

elizabeth
    Participant

Ann: Yes, TV tropes is ADDICTIVE! It’s a good way to find out what’s been done before with your current WIP. I actually did a blog post about that. πŸ˜€

Jani: Yes it’s nice to do the happy dance when you’re not on the List. But at the same time, I’ve actually commitd the Chosen One sin (and I am trying to subvert it) and Fae sin though, so if other people secretly have bitchy chicks and furry shifters, it’s all good too. πŸ˜€

Dawn: that’s actually why I keep mine animals too. I want to make it as realistic as possible. It’s magic, sure, but I really like to keep my magic as realistic as I can. πŸ˜€

Miranda: I second the October Daye. I actually haven’t read about a lot of fae, so they aren’t too much for me yet. I also second the crappy covers. I don’t know why the publishers think this is attractive to us at this point.

Chiaki
    Participant

@lyrwriter I agree with you there, and OHMYGOSH I LOVE THE LEVIATHAN TRILOGY XD Can’t wait for Goliath to come out next month πŸ™‚ and I didn’t see that coming either… πŸ™‚

I agree with most of what other people are saying, but I think that shifters are pretty cool if they have a nice tiwst to them. On the other hand, I’m done with vampires. As soon as the Twilight saga got popular, there was just a sudden bloom of other vampire stories. Adding onto that idea, I’m also sick of the stories with ordinary girl falling in love with a supernatural being. It’s been done too many times, though maybe in a couple of years, it’ll be cool again.

By the way, not that I disliked the Hush, Hush series, because the author did a really good job on that, but how many other people felt the story was closely related to Twilight? You know, Patch and Nora met in biology just like Edward and Bella… and other closely related stuff. (note: I am NOT a Hush, Hush hater.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.