Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / What Genre Is This?

What Genre Is This?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Young Adult / What Genre Is This?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

shootingstarsmag
    Participant

First off, feel free to use this topic for your own questions as well…but right now, I have an idea for a story and I’m currently calling it sci-fi but I’m just not sure. I know it doesn’t really matter right now but I like to have the genre in mind while writing for my own sake…and then for critiques.

Basic idea- children are raised to be Donors. Their blood has been changed since in their mother’s womb in order to donate that blood to someone ill and keep them healthy. The blood will sink into bone, muscle, etc. It doesn’t HAVE to be a blood disease basically.

I don’t want to go into more…this is just the basics of why I was thinking sci-fi…but is it? I’m not really all that knowledable about the genre.

xaenyth
    Participant

I think it could be sci-fi or fantasy. I guess it depends on how you end up writing it.

shootingstarsmag
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely don’t think it’s fantasy…just because they are scientifically made this way, and the rest of the story is grounded in the reality we live in.

the premise reminds me a tiny bit of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which is generally billed as sci-fi…like Celeste said, it would prolly depend on what elements you weave through it. I’m never opposed to a good genre-bender 🙂

Anonymous

I´d say it sounds like Sci-Fi. You could make a thriller out of it, but like the others said before, it depends on what you´ll make out of it.

shootingstarsmag
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I’m going to go with sci-fi now just for my own sake of categorizing it. Once I’m finished, I’ll have to see if it’s JUST that or more, like you all mentioned!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.