Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / What’s Your Strongest Writing Skill?

What’s Your Strongest Writing Skill?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / What’s Your Strongest Writing Skill?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

xaenyth
    Participant

I’m still trying to figure out what mine is. 😉

lyrwriter
    Participant

Hmm. I don’t know for sure what my strongest writing skill is–given how difficult it is to be objective about this sort of thing, I don’t think I’m really qualified to point to something and say, “yes, I do that particularly well.” If I had to pick one aspect of writing that I feel most *comfortable* with, though, I think it would be dialogue.

As far as what others think my skills are, it seems to depend a lot on the story and the person critiquing it. I’ve been told that I’m good at giving quick, deft descriptions of things. I’ve also been complimented on my dialogue and voice (the latter particularly when writing in first-person). The compliment I was most flattered by was when my creative writing teacher told me (and subsequently the entire class) how impressed he was with my authority as a writer. If you don’t know what authority refers to in writing (I didn’t when he first told me this), Hilari Bell describes it as, “…prose that displays enough skill, professionalism and polish that it convinces the reader that the author knows what he’s doing. The reader (subconsciously) takes in the easy grace of the sentences and says, ‘This person can tell me a story! I’ll trust him enough to suspend my disbelief and give him a chance.'”

At any rate, the point is that I’m still trying to figure out what mine is too…but I’m guessing that it’s one of the above. 🙂

Dawn
    Participant

I can sometimes be descriptive enough to creep out my audience (in this case creep and gross out the entire Creative Writing class). XD

Ahh, Rose Petals, how I have missed your first chapter <3

jessicafriday
    Participant

Interesting topic. And I’d have to agree with @lyrwriter — tough to be objective there. I think we have to rely on critiques/outside observation.

@Dawn – Would be interested to know what creeped out the creative writing class!

Dawn
    Participant

Basically, some demons in a forest ripped a bunch of people apart.

Chiaki
    Participant

@Lywriter That’s a good way of putting it 🙂 Dialogue always seems to hate me for some reason, so kudos for you 😀

@Dawn I feel like I’m stalking you since nearly every thread I visit, you’re there 😛 I would like to read that description…

Most of my readers tell me I’m good at creating 3-D characters, though I beg to differ >.>

indigograce
    Participant

It is tough to kind of toot your own horn, especially because we all have some sort of insecurities about how or what we write. I often read a friend of mine’s work and I admire the way she gets this total intimacy of details. They are so subtle but they are nuances that drive the connection the characters have with one another. I hate and love her for this! In turn, she tells me that I do humor and dialogue really well. Sometimes, when I go back to read some of my stuff after I haven’t seen it in a while, I do laugh at the things my characters have said. Is it conceited to laugh out loud at your own work?

I know for me that dialogue drives my scenes. WIthout that I’m lost.

febe moss
    Participant

I write comedy..well. Or at least my local critique group thinks so. I laugh at my own jokes but to hear someone snort and giggle is rather pleasing!

indigograce
    Participant

@febe moss That’s awesome that people snort and giggle when they read your stuff. Even better when that was the effect you were going for.! 😉 Humor is a tough thing to get so kudos to you!

quinnykins
    Participant

I’m the Thomas Hardy of description. And that can be a problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.