Home / Forums / List of Forums / Poetry / When did you first realize you were good at poetry?

When did you first realize you were good at poetry?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Poetry / When did you first realize you were good at poetry?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Was it that school teacher that told you or did you find out later on in life?

I first started writing poetry when I was very young – too young to worry about whether I was actually any good or not! I did receive encouraging feedback from my parents and teachers though. I guess I gained real confidence when I won a young poet competition for my county (Essex). Then I thought – hey, maybe I’m not so bad.

Dawn
    Participant

I still don’t think I’m good at poetry. I have an occasional good piece but not enough to make myself think I’m “good” at it. However, I write when I feel then need to write or when I’m inspired by something. Honestly, one of my favorite pieces makes no sense, and a piece that I wrote that makes no sense to me made perfect sense to my teacher who loved it (I thought it was one of the worst pieces I ever wrote lol)

victoriahunter
    Participant

for me, I really didn’t think whether i was good or bad. I never even knew I was writing good or bad poetry, i just knew it was definitely how poetry is to be written with the human senses and poetic technique. When I would read a knew lesson in poetry, I would instantly understand it. I thought everyone can understand how to write poetry, til I start helping beginning poets and realizing there are those who find it difficult to do. i see everything as films, or snapshot in my mind. My mind is very visual and I see things I guess to the non artistic eye, would not be seen. I am also not smart at all in other areas (like math…etc) but words and phrases and dialogue I remember well. i believe with me, alot of my mind is being given to words, which increases my ability to write poetry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.