Home / Forums / List of Forums / Children’s Literature / Where do you get your ideas from?

Where do you get your ideas from?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Children’s Literature / Where do you get your ideas from?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Is it the way kids behave that sparks your imagination, are you a big kid at heart, or is there something else that creates the magic?

camikazi
    Participant

Sometimes my ideas come from word play.

I’m working on a PB about making new friends that came from thinking about how funny the word Gnu was.

On another occasion, the nonsense word Catinango sort of popped into my head. That turned into Cat n’ Angus, an idea for a PB about a 3-legged mutt and a lost kitten from a family of show cats.

pamela
    Participant

Listening and observing my daycare kids. Watching them play and asking them questions. One day, a child made a snake with playdoh and had a suitcase on his back. With that I made up a poem about a snake going on a trip across the other side of a field.

gaildear
    Participant

From my family mainly. Always Eat Your Flies came from the fact that when I married a few years ago, my husband was not a very good housekeeper. Cleveland, the Dirty Bird came from a family situation and seeing a group of geese flying over which had only one bird on one of the sides. Of course, he must be dirty and stinky for no one to be on his side.

gaildear
    Participant

Pam–I love your snake idea. It sounds so cute!!!

pamela
    Participant

Yeah, the funny thing is, I’m terrified of snakes!
    Good observation with the geese!

gaildear
    Participant

Oh, me too. I had a 5th grader to bring one to school in his backpack once. It escaped and caused quite an entertaining afternoon.

pamela
    Participant

I would have passed out!

gaildear
    Participant

Grabbed an empty garbage can and sat it over the top of the snake. He was contained at least. Then I called the custodian!

pamela
    Participant

Oh, the horror of it all! Ha!

Tiffany Metzger
    Participant

I am inspired by my family, mostly. I’m the oldest of 6 kids, of there are always plenty of adventures flying around the house.

Lots of times my ideas will spark from a sentence that someone says. Something about it will peak my curiosity and and then my brain will run away with it…

Also, I think I’m just a big kid at heart. 🙂

@gaildear Oh my gosh! I would have totally freaked out (on the inside at least) I hate snakes!

cherizette
    Participant

I’m a big kid at heart. In addition my kids say the darnest things like all kids do.

gaildear
    Participant

Snakes are not my favorite Tiffany. I hate them and spiders. I am the oldest of 7 so you are correct..family is a great place to get ideas.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.