Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Who did NaNo and how did it go?

Who did NaNo and how did it go?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Science Fiction & Fantasy / Who did NaNo and how did it go?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jani
    Participant

I managed to hit the 50k but I still need about 15k before I’m done. How did the rest of you do?

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

Open Office says 51,414 and NaNo’s site verification says 50,122. (Really don’t like the discrepancy, grrr.) Either way, I’m a winner!

I still have about 8 more outline points to go (so, 14,000 words?) and then I’ll be truly done with the first draft. Then its onwards to redrafting, critiques, editing, round and round until a final draft can be accomplished. I’m very happy to have succeeded in my first NaNoWriMo ever. This was fun!

Jani
    Participant

That’s great Kimberly. Congrats! I’ve decided to push through until the novel is done, hopefully by the 17th. Then it’ll go into a drawer while I work on some other stuff. But I’ll definitively get back to it after I’ve given it a rest for about 2 months.

Hermina Vass
    Participant

I hit 50k as well, but unfortunately I’m out of plot points. This was my first NaNoWriMo and my first novel ever. Which is more like a skeleton than a proper first draft. I’ll give it some time for itself and then shape it up.

laura
    Keymaster

Congrats all! I recommended taking a few weeks off (NOT reading it) before starting the edits. It helps give you some space from it.

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

Agreed. I tend to give at least a month between redrafts. That way, I get to read it with fresh eyes and am not so attached to the phrasings (therefore, it’s easier to “kill my darlings” and see what’s not working).

Jani
    Participant

I completely agree with giving it a breather. I usually leaving my novels for at least a month or two and focus on something else. When I go back things look different and I’m excited all over again.

nicolezoltack
    Participant

This past nano I wrote an entire 80K paranormal YA novel!

laura
    Keymaster

Congrats Nicole! Have you done anything with it since?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.