Writing Courses

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

xaenyth
    Participant

I’m curious.

Has anyone taken any courses that they feel like really improved their writing?

I’m considering taking another one, but the first one I took was kind of a disaster.

Extra points if the course is online. I like being a hermit.

Barbara G.Tarn
    Participant

I took writing courses or workshops as a way to spend my vacation time from Day Job with fellow writers. Sometimes I ended up being the only novelist in a bunch of poets, sometimes it was overcrowded, sometimes it was just fine.
    I met people (although, like you, I’d rather be a hermit) and learned something, yeah. My next workshop is on Indie Publishing, I have enough of “how to write” courses! 😉
    Never tried the online ones…

elizabeth
    Participant

I went to DragonCon (a local fantasy convention) and took some courses from Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston. They were great.

The best writing course I ever took, however, the one that literally changed my life is online, and called “How to Think Sideways”.

It’s given by a fantasy/PNR author Holly Lisle, but anyone can take it. Here is her website: http://hollylisle.com/

You will find A LOT of free How-to writing articles, which is where I first started to learn the craft of writing. How to Create a Scene, How to sharpen Conflict, etc. There’s a lot of them, and they are free so it gives you a good idea of her teaching style.

Then you have the writing course. http://howtothinksideways.com/members/

The reason why I love this course so much is it’s not just teaching you one writer’s style and methods. She shows you how to get results, every time, and tailor it to your specific writing needs. It’s not just a course in writing one book, but on your entire writing career. There’s a money back guarantee, and she takes money out of your account on a monthly basis, so it was a lot easier for me to pay for the course.

She also has a course on revision that saved my bacon, but you probably want to start with HTTS.

If anyone is interested and has questions for me, I am more than happy to answer them. 😀

/rant

kshipp08
    Participant

I took a creative writing class my freshman year of college and it severely changed my writing for the good. It even prepared me for how cut throat and brutally honest people can me. When I let people read things I have wrote and they don’t like it, or just start tearing it apart my skin is a lot tougher and It doesn’t sting as badly.
    I think it was a really good experience for me.

Cathy Franklin
    Participant

I took Writer’s Digest Writing to Sell Fiction course way back in 1985. I don’t know if they still offer it or how it’s changed since then. I really learned a lot and still use the books that came with the course if I have a question about something. It’s a correspondence course, so you can do it at home. I sold a short story that I had written as part of the course.

xaenyth
    Participant

I just wanted to update that I found some courses at Savvy Authors that look like fun.

I actually joined the study group for Writing the Breakout Novel. Someone here recommended the workbook to me and I absolutely love it so the study group couldn’t have come at a better time.

It starts today and lasts for nine months. I’m really excited. 🙂

laura
    Keymaster

That’s awesome! It’s definitely something I’m interested in too. Let me know how it goes!

xaenyth
    Participant

The course is here if anyone is interested. They’re still accepting registrations.

http://www.savvyauthors.com/vb/showevent.php?eventid=952

peckmom3
    Participant

I went to a 3 day writer’s workshop given by Bob Mayer and it was fantastic! I learned so much. There were 9 of us total so lots of one on one, some published, some not, great feedback, it was really wonderful. I’d do it again given the opportunity.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.