Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Writing Software: Scrivener, Storyist, Contour etc

Writing Software: Scrivener, Storyist, Contour etc

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Writers Coffee Shop / Writing Software: Scrivener, Storyist, Contour etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

laura
    Keymaster

Has anyone ever used a writing software to write a story or novel?

I always considered it a form of “cheating” but it’s recently been brought to my attention that a lot of successful authors in fact use these programs such as scrivener, storyist, writeway pro, plotbuilder & so on to organize their storylines & plans. This is the digital era we live in after all. So I’m curious, what are your thoughts & experiences?

– Laura

anniemr
    Participant

Hi Laura,
    I will say that I have tried. LOL. I have yet to find a writing software that I like. I’ve tried story mapping software, some other freeware, and I think story writer. Perhaps it’s just too organized for my mind but I haven’t found it helpful.

laura
    Keymaster

Thanks for your input Annie. I’m just so curious to how it works! I haven’t tried any of them yet but since it’s cyber monday… now might as good a time as any to find out!

Cathy Franklin
    Participant

I sometimes use the free version of Storybook software. It’s got some neat features, if you can learn how to use it. I’ve used the free version of Ywriter too. I don’t think it’s cheating, because you still have to come up with the story and input the details. It just helps you to be more organized. Some of the free programs won’t save your work, which is very upsetting after you have spent hours writing a story into the program. So if you plan to use one, first check to make sure it will save your work.

febe moss
    Participant

I’ve used or attempted to us Scivener and storybook. I didn’t like either. Much to complicated for me. I ended up using a chart my pal Annie has on her website: http://annieneugebauer.com/the-organized-writer-2/novel-scenes-chart/

And best of all, it was free!

But maybe someone’s had success with other software?

Anyone ever tried Dragon speech software to write? Been curious about it.

kimberlyfdr
    Participant

I always wonder abou the portability of writing software. I use Open Office, which works with Word as well, to write. I send my manuscript to myself over email as a back-up and then I can access the latest version anywhere I am, no matter what computer I’m on. I’m afraid that tying myself to a writing software such as Storybook or Scrivener will confine me to just one writing location.

I’ve heard that the software helps with plotting and outlining, but I’m not sure how applicable it would be to me. I already work off an outline and refine as I go along, focusing on one outline point per writing session. Maybe I just need to do some trial runs with the different software to see if any of them would be beneficial to the way I write.

laura
    Keymaster

Oooh thanks for that link Febe (and Annie!), I’m going to check it out now.

And yes, I’ve heard about these programs losing your work. Devastating.. have to be so careful. Btw, I recommend dropbox for backing up work, keeps things easy.

Tiffany Metzger
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about trying Scrivener, just as a way to keep myself organized. I don’t think of it as cheating, seeing as you have to come up with the ideas and do all the work, and although I am a print activist, lately I’ve been finding myself typing more than physically writing. I think mostly I’m just curious…

Maybe I’ll download the free trial from the website.

laura
    Keymaster

I’m currently trying Contour. I hope to get stuck in to a new MS this weekend! I’ll report back with my thoughts ~~

stella96
    Participant

I’m still very happy with yWriter5, mostly because I tend to write chapters (and scenes) out of order and I like to shuffle them around a lot. Not to mention that I practically had no problem re-uploading and relocating my documents when I had to switch computers. Downside: I can only import whole chapters, but not individual scenes!

iliadfan
    Participant

Scrivener sounded a lot like my writing process, but I tried to use it with a completed draft I was rewriting, and it was just too much work. I’ll eventually try it again with a brand new story.

@febe moss – I tried Dragon Naturallyspeaking and wasn’t impressed, but I know lots of published authors use it. Kristin Cashore (author of Graceling, Fire, & Bitterblue) seems to really like it, while Justine Larbalestier (author of Liar, How To Ditch Your Fairy, & the Magic or Madness series) REALLY isn’t having fun with it. Maybe it works better if your accent is very region-specific. I’ve lived on two continents, and so has Justine, so that might be part of the problem…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.