Home / Forums / List of Forums / Short Stories / Writing story for contest. Kinda stuck. Help!?

Writing story for contest. Kinda stuck. Help!?

Home / Forums / List of Forums / Short Stories / Writing story for contest. Kinda stuck. Help!?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

writingwhatiwant
    Participant

Hi, my name is Katelyn Shear and I’m writing a 3,000-4,000 word story for Small Press. I’m on the second chapter and have no clue what to write next. The main theme is supposed to be genealogy. I’m adding mystery and romance, I hope. I’m on the second chapter, and my charcters dialog is just sort of babbling. Can anyone help? I can send what I have wrote for someone to read.

laura
    Keymaster

Hi Katelyn,

Have you tried skipping ahead a few chapters and writing from there? I do this sometimes and then go back and fill in the gaps. Try it! 🙂

Jean Lauzier

That’s a great idea. I often start at the end and work back toward the middle.

Ask what your characters what…then have them go after it while someone else tries to stop them from achieving their goals. See what happens then.

writingwhatiwant
    Participant

Thank you!

Chiaki
    Participant

If it’s the dialogue you’re having trouble with, a way to spice it up is by adding conflict 🙂 Everyone agreeing with oneanother is boring. The opposite…is just excellent >:3

I agree with Laura and Jean, by the way. The methods really work for me! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.