YA Fantasy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello fellow writers,

I’m totally obsessed by Kristin Cashore’s Graceling and Fire. I can’t wait for Bitterblue to come out.

What do you think about that high Fantasy stuff? Do you like to create new worlds or do you prefer to use our world?

rachel
    Participant

I’m reading and enjoying a high fantasy novel, but so far I prefer using our own world and just tweaking it a bit when writing.

anjel
    Participant

I think it depends on the novel, I enjoy both. But I completely agree with you about both books. They are incredible! I am eagerly awaiting Bitterblue as well!

Courtney M Sikora
    Participant

I love a good YA High Fantasy novel. In fact, I’m working on one as a side project. I don’t think there are enough YA High Fantasy books out there.

I’ve read Graceling (not Fire yet), but I like Cinda Williams Chima’s Seven Realms series better (The Demon King, The Exiled Queen, and The Gray Wolf Throne.)

That said, I think creating a new world is a challenge. Our world is easy to write about (well…easier) but to create new places, new races, new rules. I respect anyone who can do that and make it seamless.

kaylinn57
    Participant

I love High Fantasy. It’s what I’ve read for years and I’m currently working on two such projects. And I have plans for at least one or two more. I actually kind of prefer High Fantasy to Urban or paranormal. Perhaps it because I grew up reading C.S. Lewis and Tamora Pierce.

iliadfan
    Participant

I love Graceling! Fire was wonderful, too, and I can’t wait for Bitterblue – I keep hearing people are reading Bitterblue ARCs and I’m so jealous.

I read most genres, but urban/epic/high fantasy and science fiction definitely rate highest for me. I’ve found creating magic systems that don’t leave any plot holes harder than making up coherent cultures/politics/histories. Maybe because there isn’t real-world magic to draw from. 🙂

kate4472
    Participant

I have not read those books…
    But I do think that creating new worlds is definitely harder (you have a new set of rules that comes with the new world) but once it is created, the story is very good and exiting… It sometimes makes the reader want to be in the world.

I hope this was helpful

cambriacovell
    Participant

High fantasy can be great but I think because there is so much of it out there has to be some sort of twist to set the world apart from other books.

ecathers
    Participant

I haven’t read those either. I have two high fantasies (not YA) on the back burner but my current YA is more low umm “suburban”? fantasy. In this one I’m focusing on making the magic (witchcraft) as realistic as possible.

love2write
    Participant

I also am lover of fantasy. Unfortunately I read the book Graceling…it wasn’t for me personally. But I do LOVE high fantasy such as the Frost series by Kailin Gow and am SO impatiently waiting for The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa to come out. Did I mention I also love dystopian and utopian novels? My current WIP (ya) actually involves some fantasy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.